[PC] Map XBOX input to keyboard key to so that game CANT see keyboard key

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
momichanny

[PC] Map XBOX input to keyboard key to so that game CANT see keyboard key

Post by momichanny »

I have a simple use case.

Game is Forza Motorsport 7 on PC. Its a racing game, and an UWP application.

In this game, both keyboard and xbox gamepad are supported.

However, looking at left and right sides from cockpit view while still seeing the car interior is ONLY possible using the xbox controller. To achieve that, the player must press Up + left or up + right in the right analog stick.

That's where GIMX enters, where I can map keyboard keys to analog axises. Example: space in keyboard will trigger xbox right analog UP + LEFT.

The problem is: this game can't handle simultaneous inputs of both keyboard and xbox gamepad. It's a game characteristic, and even if a keyboard key isn't mapped in-game, pressing it alongside a xbox direction will mess with the direction being pressed.

So I must find a way to AVOID the game (or better, the Operating System, I think?) from registering the underlying key being pressed (space, in this example).

But the question is: HOW? (please, tell me this is possible....I'm very courageous to ask this, because I smell someone will appear saying it's a OS limitation or something :cry: )
Matlo

Re: [PC] Map XBOX input to keyboard key to so that game CANT see keyboard key

Post by Matlo »

Sadly I'm not sure there is a way to do this.
GIMX creator
kaiba_seto2004

Post by kaiba_seto2004 »

I remember I used vJoy + UCR to emulate my mouse (keyboard) to right analog stick in the past . Not sure it will work for you but you can try :)
PS4 enthusiast.
momichanny

Post by momichanny »

Matlo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm Sadly I'm not sure there is a way to do this.
:cry:
kaiba_seto2004 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:48 am I remember I used vJoy + UCR to emulate my mouse (keyboard) to right analog stick in the past . Not sure it will work for you but you can try :)
I really appreciate your sugestion :)

But I don't think I understood it :(

The main problem I must press a keyboard key, and the game must see only the "emulated" direction (XBOX analog stick, in this case).

vJoy would still need some key pressing, which would be registered by the game.

The closer I got in the past was a combination using vJoy (when it actually worked with Windows 10) plus UCR plus one or two applications that could blacklist and whitelist joystick keys from being registered by apps (can't remember the name of these apps. One of them had a somewhat funny name, like magicknight, and a DRIVER had to be installed in the system). So the flow was:

1 - In UCR, I set up a JOYSTICK to KEYBOARD mapping (pressing a button in joystick would trigger an keyboard key event);
2 - In the blacklist / whitelist app(s), I globally blacklisted the joystick device, but let UCR whitelisted, so that it was the only app that could see the joystick inputs.

So, by pressing a button in the joystick, UCR was the only app able to see it. Then UCR sent the keyboard event to the game.

But the same approach could not be used with keyboard: I couldn't blacklist it globally (I don't care about having to restart the PC in order to have the keyboard working again).

Assuming the final goal is pressing SPACE in keyboard to look left inside cockpit (only normally possible by using XBOX controller analog stick), the issue is:

-I must press the space key. It doesn't matter what this key will emulate, BUT the game SHOULD NOT see the space key. That's the problem.

:cry:

Once GIMX is a special hardware, I thought it could overcome this problem.