[Help] How to start data collection of the Xbox 360 wheel communication?

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
Jacobsson

[Help] How to start data collection of the Xbox 360 wheel communication?

Post by Jacobsson »

Hi all!
I'd love to someday be able to use the GIMX in conjunction with the both excellent and very affordable FFB Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel on other systems.

The only option right now seems to be the more pretty expensive commercial devices such as the Drivehub or Ras1ution in order to enjoy the full experience, they've both managed to reverse the FFB-protocol, how? If they can, we could too right?

Collect communication data
As we lack Xbox 360 wheel emulation right now I was hoping to at least get the ball rolling by collecting data for the wheel communication straight from the 360, alternatively collecting data from the PC. In theory we should in the end be able to use then wireless receiver the pair the wheel with the GIMX for communication.

Q: In order to start this process, could I use my GIMX to collect the communication data?

Method suggestions:
(A): Collect the data communication by intercept between the xbox 360 and its wireless module (it's using USB)?

(B): Collect data between 360 racing wheel and the Wireless receiver on PC (sadly PC drivers has no FFB, just basic rumble support)?

(C): Hypothetically one could get a device that is already compatible w/ the 360 wheel on PC and listen to the communication data using the GIMX?

Any help or guidance to start this process would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE 1: I do now own a drivehub for comparison
UPDATE 2: This thread can be closed/removed due to lack of time and resources
Last edited by Jacobsson on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jacobsson

Re: [Help] How to start data collection of the Xbox 360 wheel communication?

Post by Jacobsson »

UPDATE: Kind of sad to reply to own topic, still no reply from any dev. However, I did acquire a "device" that works with the wheel so I'm ready to do some digging whenever.
kaiba_seto2004

Post by kaiba_seto2004 »

You'd better read this guide
But even with collected data, I don't think Matlo got time to make it work.
PS4 enthusiast.
Jacobsson

Post by Jacobsson »

kaiba_seto2004 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 am You'd better read this guide
But even with collected data, I don't think Matlo got time to make it work.
You're probably right, if there is no one left with knowledge of how to develop for the device, then data collection is kind of pointless.
I'll lay this to rest for now, I do appreciate your reply.