PS4 - Dirt - G29 - No Tension

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
zblad

PS4 - Dirt - G29 - No Tension

Post by zblad »

Hello all,

So i have been playing dirt on my ps4 with my g29 steering wheel and gimx. At first i thought the game was just extremely difficult/sensitive. But tonight I decided to move my whole setup into my mancave. I turned the PS4 on and my steering wheel had tension. So I wasnt sure if it was supposed to have tension or not because it never has done that. I played dirt and it was WAY easier with this tension which made me think it was supposed to be like this. I rebooted my PS4 and the raspberry pi and all the tension went away :cry: I tried multiple times and it still doesnt have the tension so hooked it straight to my laptop and the steering does have the tension. I guess my question is... Is the wheel supposed to have tension so it doesnt spin freely? And why doesn't it have that on the pi?

I am not using a powered usb hub and am starting to wonder if that is cause for no tension.
zblad

Re: PS4 - Dirt - G29 - No Tension

Post by zblad »

I am also wondering could it be a driver issue on the raspberry pi...
zblad

Post by zblad »

Alright so on my lunch today I decided to mess around a little bit and hooked the wheel directly to my ps4 and the wheel had tension. I am thinking the pi just doesn't have enough power for the steering wheel and maybe I need a powered usb hub. What doesn't make sense is that the wheel itself has an external power supply so how much power would the pi really need to send to the wheel... GRRR this is frustrating. I have noticed on the pi when it does the calibration it doesn't seem to do it all the way so itll start kinda have a hiccup and then continue to rotate right and then rotate left and the return to the middle but doesn't actually stop it in the middle. But my pc and ps4 both did stop it at the middle.
zblad

Post by zblad »

Hey I have the Logitech GT Force and for some reason this has only happened twice but I can feel the force in the steering wheel before I even start playing a game (by force I mean tension). Every other time I have played with the steering wheel there is no force until I am actually playing the game. What I have noticed is when I boot the raspberry pi the wheel starts to spin the kinda glitches and stops for a second and then continues (Almost like it doesn't have enough power) So I went and order a powered usb hub that was compatible with the pi and it does the same exact thing. I am not sure if it is a power issue or what! It is like it gets interrupted during calibration and the force wont work. The force does work tho once your in game if your turning but if your sitting still there is no tension so steering is extremely sensitive.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
Sorry for not answering sooner.
To sum up, you tried using a G29 through GIMX and observed it behaves differently compared to direct connection?
GIMX creator
zblad

Post by zblad »

Yes it is very strange basically when connected through raspberry pi there is no force tension, But if I hook it to the ps4 or windows laptop there is. I have also noticed if I have the steering wheel plugged into my powered usb hub that plugs into the pi there is no tension but if I shut the pi off it centers itself and then has tension. Its almost like it doesn't finish calibrating when connected to the raspberry pi. Is there any force tests you can manually run on the pi?
zblad

Post by zblad »

the strange thing is I have got it to work twice with tension which makes me think it has nothing to do with drivers its almost like the usb on the pi flakes out for a second.
zblad

Post by zblad »

I am going to try get some video of it tonight and I will try get It posted on here. I am also going to try and see if there is a way to reload the usb drives or like disable then re enable them.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Could you please also generate a log file while reproducing the issue, and post it?
This could help me understanding the issue.
GIMX creator
zblad

Post by zblad »

Yes I can do that but where is that located on the raspberry pi. And do I have to put anything special when I run gimx?