Raspberry Pi3 + DIY USB + G27=Perfect only for a few minutes

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Dasato

Raspberry Pi3 + DIY USB + G27=Perfect only for a few minutes

Post by Dasato »

Hi there,

I've been posting in different post at this forum but I'm desperate with the setup I described at the subject. I’m going to detail as much as possible my situation and what happens exactly.

This is my setup.

Raspberry Pi 3
CP2102+Arduino Leonardo
G27
2.0A charger
Connected by built-in wifi to get Access.

I downloaded the Noobs distribution and I installed Raspbian. Then I installed a VNC Server, that’s all the software I installed.

Then I installed GIMX as is described.

sudo apt-get install gdebi
wget http://gimx.fr/download/gimx-raspbian -O gimx.deb
sudo gdebi gimx.deb

NOTE: I didn’t execute sudo rpi-update because if I do that GIMX starts but the wheel doesn’t response when I press leftest red button as PS in G27. Without the update I can start GIMX and the wheel is recognized as a PS4 controller.

I can start the game, Project Cars, and start a race. Sonetimes after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes I get this:

http://pastebin.com/rmPwwg23

Essentially
libusb_transfer failed with status LIBUSB_TRANSFER_TIMED_OUT (endpoint=0x01)

The G27’s led starts blinking and the wheel loses the FFB. The game remains with the throttle on or turning right or left, whatever was the last position received from the wheel before it fails.
NOTE: GIMX keeps running until I unplug G27’s usb, then I can close GIMX terminal window and in PS4 appears the message as the controller was disconnected.

After the error the lsusb output looks normal, with all the device connected (DIY USB, G27 and DS4)

I’ve used several USB cables, in fact only 2 are needed, one for DS4 and other to connect Arduino with the PS4.

I don’t know what to do, what to check or what to try, my last shot is use a powered USB HUB, but know I don't have one.

To increase my desperation, if I replace the Pi3 by a PC with Win7 everything works fine for hours, using the same cables, in fact more cables, because PC is farther from PS4.

Please Matlo, could you bring me some help! Some idea! Update libusb? Do you thing to use a powered USB HUB could be the solution?
Are you sure GIMX is fully compatible with the new Pi3 (remember, after the ipdate GIMX doesn't work)?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need some other information.

Regards
Last edited by Dasato on Tue May 03, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dasato

Re: Rasberry Pi3 + DIY USB + G27=Perfect only for a few minu

Post by Dasato »

More details. I've set a GIMX.desktop to autostart the program. Then I've blacklisted Wifi and BT using

#wifi
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmutil
#bt
blacklist btbcm
blacklist hci_uart

/etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf in order to reduce power consumption.
I added the line max_usb_current=1 at /boot/config.txt because it’s supposed that increase the power provided to USB ports.
Then I've installed libusb-1.0-0.dev
No solution, each time the same.
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

Now I tried a sudo rpi-update

After that in /var/log/messages I get this when G27 is pluged.

Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.828709] usb 1-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 10 using dwc_otg
Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.953396] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c294
Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.953428] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.953441] usb 1-1.3: Product: G27 Racing Wheel
Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.972618] input: G27 Racing Wheel as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/0003:046D:C294.000E/input/input13
Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.973226] logitech 0003:046D:C294.000E: input,hidraw8: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [G27 Racing Wheel] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.3/input0
Apr 16 09:49:56 raspberrypi kernel: [ 522.973271] logitech: probe of 0003:046D:C294.000E failed with error -1

The last line was not showed before. Now Pi doesn't recognize the G27's input. If I open GIMX-config and try an autodetect event, none of G27's buttons are recognized.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

It seems the connection with the G27 is bad.
It may be a USB cable issue, or a RPi issue.
Check the cables first.

Did it work at some point? If yes, try to revert any change you may have done since then.
GIMX creator
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

It Works only for a few seconds/minutes before I did sudo rpi-update.

After that not at all.

I tried with all USB ports, I've tried several cables and G27's USB cable can't be replaced.

If I use a PC everything is fine.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I confirm this is a RPi kernel issue.
I also did a rpi-update on my RPi b+ and got the same issue.

It looks like the recent kernel update from 4.1 to 4.4 broke something.
Downgrading to a 4.1 kernel fixes the issue:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 771a503cfc2a1130e2df2a4ddfc45ffa0f592b3f
GIMX creator
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

Which of the two issues are you referring to? My first, and the main one, is that GIMX ONLY works for a while. The second one is after I did sudo rpi-update. That was solved, because I did a fresh installation from Noobs immediately.

Revert to previous version was not a problem, and doing that, G27 is recognized but GIMX is still crashing with a LIBUSB_TRANSFER_TIMED_OUT after few seconds playing (driving in fact, looking around the manus there is no problem). I've tried PCars and Driveclub.

Regards and thanks for your support
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The LIBUSB_TRANSFER_TIMED_OUT message is quite frequent when using a RPi.
Most of the times it indicates a performance issue.
It's not a critical error, gimx can keep running after that.

In your case it probably indicates a connection issue rather than a performance issue.
Is there any error message in /var/log/messages when the problem happens?
GIMX creator
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

Nope, there is no error at messages.

In fact gimx keeps runnuing but it's useless because the wheel doesn't response. I've to disconnect wheel's USB and ctrl+c in gimx to get it back to work or back to prompt. If i don't disconnect the wheel it's impossible to stop gimx
knd

Post by knd »

for the pi3 is it's a little "short" to use a 2Amp power supply with connected periferals (PS4 controller and the wheel).
I've had problems only with wireless keyboard/mouse, usb 3 pen drive. Solution powered hub (not everyone works)
With the GIMX adapter (the hardware) had problems with a few cheap micro-USB cables. It wouldn't work.
About the kernel issues with the PI, i'm out now, using a linux based laptop.

So, more possible problems than solutions hehehe
Hope it helps.