Deadzone and ingame acceleration

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
Davwot

Deadzone and ingame acceleration

Post by Davwot »

Hi folks,

I've been searching for aslong as I can remember for a cheap and efficient way of getting a 1:1 feel for mouse and keyboard on the PS3. I currently own an Eagle Eye and have been using it for over a year now however I've still been haunted by a couple of issues that the Eagle Eye has.

The first issue being the deadzone, there is new firmware that allows 5 point deadzone configuration however even with 5 points it is still not absolute and causes zig zagging in certain areas of the potentiometer. I was wondering if you have managed to create absolute deadzone detection with the GIMX and if so how?

The second issue (and probably the biggest) is the dreaded ingame acceleration which as you will know is different for every game. I notice you use a single value to counter this such as 0.39 or something, I was under the impression that the acceleration in games was exponential at different values at different points of the analogue stick and not just one single exponential curve that could be countered with a single value.

Davwot
Matlo

Re: Deadzone and ingame accleration

Post by Matlo »

The deadzone with GIMX is circular or rectangular, and is zero-centered.
There is a calibration mode that helps to find the appropriate parameters.

The exponent has to be set according to the game.
There is a calibration test that helps to set the appropriate value.

0.39 is generally used for COD games.
This value was calculated after measuring the rotation speed for different stick positions.
GIMX creator
Davwot

Post by Davwot »

Yeah I can imagine that measuring the rotation speed would have been a pain in the arse, I tried doing it myself once by counting the revolutions per minute for each increment on the potentiometer but it took ages.

From my understanding of the deadzone for games like cod it is usually oval shaped to address for sensitivity when moving on the Y-Axis (because its designed for a Dual Shock), does the GIMX deadzone match the exact deadzone of the games or if it doesn't is there much notice when using the mouse for this margin of error.

I was also under the impression that games like Halo used a curved rectangle that had curved edges?

Is it possible to create a GIMX that didnt need a computer to handle the data ie for it all to be done on a Dev board independently perhaps?

I was also wondering if it was possible to use an android phone instead of a PC seeing as Android supports Linux.

And...(takes a breathe) I was also wondering if it was possible to flash an Eagle Eye with the firmware that you use for the GIMX and somehow use the Eagle Eye or make use of the board inside it?

Sorry for the amount of question its just that I'm really excited about this find as I've been searching for 1:1 M&K for the PS3 for a looooooong time, and I thought I had seen all Keyboard an mouse peripherals including the FragFX, Fragnstein, Hori, XIM and Eagle Eye. I have even considered building the Pan-Galactic Gargantuan Garge Brain aka XBox 360 USB Controller from Ricks website which you maybe familiar with.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The GIMX deadzone works nicely with games like COD, but it may not work as good with games like Halo (mainly because the 360 support is new).

The computer is a requirement, it's too much work for me to create something like a xim3.
But Linux can run on small things like the raspberry pi...

No android support planned yet.

Flashing an eagle eye is not an easy task and is out of question.
GIMX creator
Davwot

Post by Davwot »

Cheers for answering my questions I appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you measure the turning speed for each value on the potentiometer when you found out that value for the acceleration curve?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

With a stopwatch :lol:

For low speeds, I measured the time required to rotate over 360°, and for high speeds, I counted the revolutions in something like 30s.
GIMX creator
Davwot

Post by Davwot »

Haha, cool. I tried doing it myself with a videocapture device to work out how many revolutions were in a minutes turning, it was tedious.

Does the use of the PC convert the accleration into linear acceleration I presume?

Is there any lag or delay whilst using the PC to process your movements?
Matlo

Re: Deadzone and ingame acceleration

Post by Matlo »

Davwot wrote: Does the use of the PC convert the accleration into linear acceleration I presume?
It depends on the game and on the player's ability to calibrate the parameters.
Davwot wrote: Is there any lag or delay whilst using the PC to process your movements?
If everything is properly configured, there should be only 6 (usb) to 12ms (bluetooth) worst case latency.
GIMX creator
Davwot

Post by Davwot »

I understand that the exp. for CoD is 0.39 however the value for McKack's setup and that on the tutorial states that 0.35 is the value for the acceleration. Why is this?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

We all like to adjust each setting to our liking.
GIMX creator