Profile for Vehicles in BF3

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
bCloud09c

Profile for Vehicles in BF3

Post by bCloud09c »

Can anyone tell me how I can setup a separate profile in BF3 for when I'm in vehicles? I have my dpi at 5700 and it runs SWEET as infantry. However, when I get in a vehicle, the mouse moves like MOLASSAS!!! I have to move it probably 10 times across my mousepad to do a 180. Can anyone help me out?
Matlo

Re: Profile for Vehicles in BF3

Post by Matlo »

GIMX creator
bCloud09c

Post by bCloud09c »

Thanks. I have a more specific question though.

My current settings are:

G700 @ 5700 DPI
x: 35/13/.39/circle/2/1
y: 35/19.54/.39/circle/2/1

This works PERFECTLY as an infantryman, but when I get in a vehicle, the mouse barely moves! I have to move it across my mouse pad like 10 times to do a 180. What should I change my mouse settings or config to in a second profile so that I can get the same fast and crisp aiming in a vehicle as I do as an infantryman?

Thanks!!!!
McKack

Post by McKack »

For vehicles I'm currently testing out
- Much higher multiplier obviously (from 12 to 17 in my case)
- A deadzone around 40+
- Exponent around 0.50-0.75
- X/Y ratio around 1.0+
- 5-10 buffer @ 1.0 smoothing.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
MarkBrand

Post by MarkBrand »

I've been tinkering with this for a while and have come up with more dead ends than solutions. I'm using values very close to bcloud's on a g500 @5700.

I was trying to add a third profile but it looks like there's no way to activate it if you have another profile using "switch back". Well, you can activate it but it will return to profile 1 when you use, for me the vehicle gadget button (RMB, which is also ADS).

So it seems that the only way right now to use more than 2 profiles is to have a button activate each profile separately and not use "switch back", which is not going to work for ADS. It looks like we need a profile button that works like push-on/push-off for profile 3, kinda like caps-lock. Am I correct on all this?

So it looks like the only solution is what you guys are doing already; using ADS on profile 1 and setting up 2 for vehicles. I'm going to try McKack's setup tonight and see how that goes.

I've also seen, while in a tank, moving the mouse slowly, say 1 inch/second, rotates the turret much more quickly than at 5 inch/second. It seems there's a sweet spot where you get the fastest movement when the mouse isn't giving too much input for the vehicle movement (where the excess input is ignored?). So I would assume that setting the multiplier to something huge would keep your mouse on the table, but you would have to train yourself to not move too fast or you'd lose input.

I would like to play with the idea of mouse x and y as a button event, but you only have the option of one direction (e.g. mousex=rstick left). I think making a large deadzone with mousex=rstickx and mousey=rsticky as button events would be worth a try, as any mouse movement would move the machinery as fast a the game allowed. Small movements would act like very quickly tapping a WASD button. Anyone who played old Mechwarrior on keyboard only will know what I mean. :geek:

Anyways, sorry for the noobish babbling. :roll: I'm determined to find a solution for this so that I can stop avoiding vehicles. Plus, this ranting helps me brainstorm a bit.
bCloud09c

Post by bCloud09c »

Thanks for the post. If you do find a viable configuration, please post it!

I too have found that if I move my mouse VERY slowly, the cursor actually move *faster*, albeit still very very slow. I'm not as concerned with ADS because I think it works fine with my current settings. My "vehicle" profile I have set on keyboard button 2 and I do not have "switch back" checked.
MarkBrand

Post by MarkBrand »

bCloud09c wrote:Thanks for the post. If you do find a viable configuration, please post it!
Definitely!

I'm looking at the XML and wondering if I can change the rstick events from axis-type to button-type. I assume the functionality is there since GIMX turns PS3's analog buttons into digital, why not turn analog mouse into digital? The problem is that it's rstick x (left and right) and there's separate buttons for left and right. I would need a mouse-x for left and mouse+x for right, both being buttons at 100%.

I don't think I'm going to get too far with this idea. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't try anything.
bCloud09c

Post by bCloud09c »

Ditto... I'm at work too. :(
MarkBrand

Post by MarkBrand »

I tried out McKack's setup and found it pretty reasonable. After playing around a bit I ended up at 35/30/0.65/2/1. I can turn the tank 360° while keeping the barrel on one target without picking up the mouse. I played the tank level on campaign (so that I wouldn't be a noob in MP) and I think only some fine tuning would be required for all the rapid targeting in MP, maybe a bit more exponent.

As far as simulating the stick as buttons with the mouse... I don't think that would be a solution. I doubled up the rstick commands to the keyboard and it's not as sensitive as I had hoped. Even tapping as fast as I could and it still moved more than I wanted.

Something that's really pissing me off is the reversing of the fire buttons in the game. I changed the tank gadget/fire so that fire was LMB just like infantry, but then you change to the gunner position and the fire/zoom is reversed again. I really wish you could change controls in the game, and I haven't really found a solution yet with that southpaw-legacy stuff.
bCloud09c

Post by bCloud09c »

Can you post your config file?