Newly purchased adapter wont stay in device manager.

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
DaveLChgo

Newly purchased adapter wont stay in device manager.

Post by DaveLChgo »

Greetings. This may be a long post as in addition to asking for help the bottom portion is meant for the creator of the directions.
Its been 4 hours and the device does not work.
1- It shows in the device manager when plugging in.... then after 3 or 4 seconds goes away as if not plugged in.
2 - The GIMX Launcher does not show a port. Unless you start it right after you plug in the adapter during the 2 or 3 seconds before it goes away.
3 - If you click start it errors "no adapter" If you start in the 3 second window. A popup launches with some DOS commands in white and red text. But then fails and closes when the device goes away.

I really wish to enjoy this item but its becoming very hard to continue.

OK here are issues with the directions page.
The directions are a very good start but still have a lot of holes.
This is for Windows to PS4 with Logitech momo force wheel over USB.

1 - GIMX install tries to install Ardiono drivers but fails.
2 - No where in the instructions is the loading of these drivers mentioned so when a pop up appears asking to load drivers and the instructions dont state anything about them. We click no. Not sure about elsewhere in the world but in the states we get hammered with rogue software doing bad stuff to our PCs.
3 -GIMX launcher had a pop up that had an IP number in it.
4 - Again instructions do not mention this will happen so that window gets closed.
5 - These pop ups all occured almost at the same time so its pop up covering a pop up covering the launcher. It makes one think that something went wrong or that the software is malware trying to connect and install stuff "NOT MENTIONED" in the directions.
6 - After closing these windows the software never asked about them again. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling. And whats more annoying is after reading through the forums to find out ..."oh they are part of the install process" Now it makes me wonder if its not working because those pop ups where closed.
7 - At what point is the PS4 supposed to be powered on? Not stated in directions.
8 - How can one tell if the PS4 controller is off?

My apologies for the rant. After the first hour my patience was getting thin. But "Im an IT admin and I work on servers and repair laptops, I can figure this out"...... Yeah, didnt happen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
LoneWolf81

Re: Newly purchased adapter wont stay in device manager.

Post by LoneWolf81 »

Hi

Where did you download the file from as this is the first time I have heard someone talking about malware popups.

First off you will need to make sure you allow the installer to load all the needed pre requisite components, GIMX will install the CP210X serial driver, an Arduino driver and USBDK all these are included so you don't have to install them separately. If all these components are installed it will work.

If you are worried about the security of your system you can use persistent storage live USB Linux distro. But there has been no issues reported as long as you get it from the official site we never recommend that anyone download the installers from other sources. I do understand your concern as I am also in IT and you have to be careful these days.

As for the IP popup you saw GIMX has a remote capability to send commands over lan to another Host running GIMX on the same lan.

The PS4 needs to be on before you click on start in GIMX as long as the controller light is not blue it will be off don't worry about the charge indicator (orange) when connected to pc although on Linux you will notice its blue but it will be off as long as its not connected to the console via Bluetooth.
Please Remember to Post your Log file in the support section , that way its easier and faster to start identifying the issue thus helping you to sort it out so you can enjoy GIMX :D .
DaveLChgo

Post by DaveLChgo »

Thanks for the reply LoneWolf81,
Software was downloaded from the GIMX site. The Malware comment was because the install instructions didn't outline the other screens that would 'pop up' asking to install itself. And they literally happened within one second of each other overlapping the instructions and install screens then the second one overlapping the first pop up before I could read it. So at the time, I'm thinking it could be the host loader trying to install some "freeware" ( remember when a lot of the free software came loaded with optional software like browser search bars and such) so I closed them because the instructions do not mention them. As far as security goes, if its normally a part of the install, then I'm OK with it. But the instructions need to show that. OK that's it for the malware comment. But really, the instructions need to outline what is going to happen on screen. Especially if it requires user approval. OK now I'm done.

Trying to get the computer to uninstall and reinstall the software, but now the popup for the drivers to install do not show at all. They showed for the first install but not subsequent installs. So my fear is that it was a one time install with whatever settings were there when I closed the popups. I have tried reinstalling several times and they do not show again. Is there a way to remove the drivers so they get reinstalled again?

Thank you for letting me know to power the PS4 before clicking start in the launcher and about ignoring the orange light.
Now in my case the PS4 was powered off the whole time during the first install and launcher start. Because the instructions didnt state when to turn it on but was clear about the controller being off, so I left the PS4 console off as well. Not sure if that messed up the install.

Is it normal that the GIMX adapter to show in the device manager for a few seconds then disappear? Or should it always be there. The launcher shows no port available. Unless I launch it in the three second window ( plug in cable connected to adapter... bo bip USB device connected... 3 seconds later... bip bo ... usb device disconnected ) If I'm fast enough I can start the launcher with the 3 seconds, then it shows Comm port 16 for a few seconds. Then when the device goes away after the 3 seconds the port is empty again.

How can I tell if the drivers are installed at all? You mentioned the CP210x the Arduino and the USBDK but I do not see them in the device manager. Is there a path to them to reinstall?

Thank you again for the assistance and the answers you have provided. It is appreciated.
ckaiycool

Post by ckaiycool »

I would disable the antivirus program entirely for 5-10 minutes just to be sure your virus protection does not allow driver installs. Then try reinstall everything that gimx program comes with. Reinstall cp2104 driver to.
Then test and see IF this issue is still there when trying to launch gimx while Ps4 is on.
All drivers can be uninstalled through device manager. Just find the correct one on HID devices.
LoneWolf81

Post by LoneWolf81 »

It would have made no difference if the PS4 was off during the install.

The USBDK Libraries will be listed under programs and features if you remove it you have to restart before installing it again as for the UART and Arduino drivers in the GIMX8 directory under program files you will see a tools folder from there you can reinstall the CP210x driver by double clicking the CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe file in the CP210x_VCP_Windows folder

The Arduino driver can be installed by going to the drivers folder and right clicking on arduino.inf and choosing install it should show a popup stating that the operation completed successfully

USBDK can be installed by going into the usbdk folder and running the UsbDk_1.0.22_x64.msi remember to restart.

What side of the adapter are you plugging into the pc you should be plugging in the UART side of the adapter to the pc and if the drivers are loaded it will show up under the ports category of device manager.
Please Remember to Post your Log file in the support section , that way its easier and faster to start identifying the issue thus helping you to sort it out so you can enjoy GIMX :D .
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Most people expect the GIMX setup to be as easy as possible, and don't care to know what happens behind the scene. But good news for you, GIMX is free and open source software! If you are interested in checking what the setup does, you can check the inno setup script here: https://github.com/matlo/GIMX-build/blo ... s/inno.iss

I don't understand your concerns with GIMX installing drivers. You granted the setup elevated privileges (either by clicking on the prompt or by disabling it), allowing it to modify your system, including installing drivers. Lots of devices come with software that install drivers, and no one complains about it. Maybe the driver install popup is unusual, but the software would not request you to install malware when it already has elevated privileges.

Regarding gimx-launcher not showing a port, as said by LoneWolf81, it actually matters which side of the adapter you plug to the computer. Please check the connection diagram in the guide for your use case here: https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Gu ... eringWheel
GIMX creator