RPI-Update Fixed Issue but no more Wifi

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
dvd7227

RPI-Update Fixed Issue but no more Wifi

Post by dvd7227 »

Hi guys,

I'm still troubleshooting this issue but I fixed it with the rpi-update older command mentioned in the forum post below.

https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1612

Adapter - CP2102 USB 2.0 to UART TTl 6PIN
Bluteooth - Onboard but not used

DIY USB Adapter - Teensy 2.0
Firmware - I believe atmega32u4.hex

Console - PS4

Game - GT Sport

Controller - LogitechG27
Using Logitech27_G29.xml

Computer - Raspberry Pi Zero W
OS - Raspbian Jessie - Kernal 4.4 - Version March 2017

GIMX Software 6.5

Issue - Latest Raspbian Jessie image with rpi-update has the wifi and bluetooth working but does not work properly with GIMX. For example, it will run and work during the PS4 menu but once you start the game the wheel will spin and suddenly stop (Log shows USB disconnected) after downgrading to sudo rpi-update 771a503cfc2a1130e2df2a4ddfc45ffa0f592b3f GIMX will work properly but on Raspbian the wifi and bluetooth will no longer work, it will show as disabled and not visible on Raspbian. At first I thought this was a power issue since I'm using a micro to USB hub and the G27 is connected to that hub but after running the rpi update fix mentioned in that post it fixed the issue but still no wifi and bluetooth.

Now I'm just wondering if there's a way to run the rpi-update but editing the terminal command to update but not edit a specific kernal causing the USB issue during that game bootup process.

For example, sudo SKIP_KERNAL=1 rpi-update

But after reading through it mentions that sometimes the firmware updates depend on the kernal update.

I'll keep testing stuff out and reply back with some feedback,

Thanks Matlo for making GIMX it's really awesome what you built for us, I'll try my best to help
dvd7227

Re: RPI-Update Fixed Issue but no more Wifi

Post by dvd7227 »

Hi guys,

So I think I'll be ok, the headless raspberry pi code (on the Raspberry GIMX wiki) made it pretty much plug and go, so it's not a necessity to have the wifi, I'll change the pi zero w to the pi zero since it's running solid

Thanks again Matlo for creating this product.

Again on the guide the rpi-update older version fixed the wheel losing connection during gameplay and startup
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

This is very likely to be a kernel issue as the RPi 0 W did not exist when kernel 4.4 was used in the RPi firmware.
GIMX creator
dvd7227

Post by dvd7227 »

Gotcha thanks Matlo, I have 2 other pi zeros so I'm dedicating one of the older one's without the camera and wifi since the plug and play headless script works really well, all I had to do was plug everything in and turn on the wheel by pressing the assigned PS button on the G27.

Wondering now if on the Pi I should make it boot to cli and not desktop to decrease the amount of boot up time, thanks again for making this project possible