DIY USB adapter not working

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Liquid

DIY USB adapter not working

Post by Liquid »

My Playstation 3 detects my GIMX PC to PS3 USB adapter as a controller but it does not detect any of my inputs from gimx-serial.

Here is a picture of my adapter.

I'm not entirely sure if you will be able to read the labels on my USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102 convert so I will list them from top to bottom the same as they appear in the image.

-3.3V
-RST
-TXD (Blue wire)
-RXD (Green wire)
-GND (Yellow wire)
-(+)5V

Here is a picture of my device manager open.

I followed the tutorial linked under this line to put together my adapter.
http://forum.gimx.fr/viewtopic.php?p=2365

I purchased my USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102 from the link below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JK ... 05_s00_i00

I purchased my Teensy USB Board V2.0 with Header Pins from the link below.
http://pjrc.com/store/teensy_pins.html

I followed the tutorial and flashed atmega32u4.hex to my teensy V2.0 development board. I have installed the GIMX software. I currently have version 0.50 of the GIMX software installed and the drivers for the USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102 installed.

Here is a list of the items used.
-USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102
-Teensy USB Board V2.0 with Header Pins running the atmega32u4.hex firmware
-Playstation 3 slim with a model number of CECH-3001A currently running firmware version 4.25
-Windows 7 x64 bit
-USB Type A Male to Mini B (5 Pin) Male Cable
-USB Male to Female Cable

I will go through a detailed list of the steps I have done to connect my adapter to my console.

First I connect my USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102 using a male to female USB cable to my computer. I then connect the Teensy V2.0 to the first USB slot on the front left hand side of my Playstation 3. I run gimx-serial as an administrator and start my config file. I then power on my Playstation 3 but it does not detect anything I input. If I power on my controller my Playstation 3 assigns it as controller 2.

I don't have anywhere else to turn and I would gladly appreciate any support you as a community may be able to offer. As a side note I understand that my mouse is not adequate for this adapter but I would like to see it work before I sink $50 into a Logitech G500.
Matlo

Re: Support Needed

Post by Matlo »

Power on your PS3 before connecting the Teensy, and connect the Teensy to the PS3 before starting GIMX.

If it still doesn't work, invert the Rx and Tx cables on the CP2102 pins, and try again.
GIMX creator
sp3c14list

Post by sp3c14list »

Hey,

keep the first controller (Sixxaxis) off!

Just start the ps3 with the Main On/Off Button on the playstation! After that put in the TTL Converter!
Then put the Teensy Board into the PS3 via USB Cable. When you do this what Matlo said, it goes perfectly!

When you have problems, just write here!

;)

Christian
Dont worry, be happy!!!
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

I still can't manage to get it working. I did try everything you both had said. I purchased the same USB to TTL adapter from Ebay that was in the tutorials as it was only a few dollars. Hopefully it's just my current converter that is causing the problem. I have tried using this from another computer without success.
sp3c14list

Post by sp3c14list »

Mhh perhaps something failed at flashing?

The Boards are the correct ones.
Just try the Tutorial again? From beginning to the end.

If this will not help, i could try to fix it for you. Perhaps over Teamviewer, if you want!

Greetings
Christian
Dont worry, be happy!!!
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

I followed the tutorial but this time I set it up on my laptop and I used the official Sony cable to connect the Teensy and I didn't use a extension cord for the USB converter. I still can't manage to get it to work. I know I'm attempting to input the right controls as the gimx-serial gui shows the commands. I flashed atmega32u4.hex onto the teensy using my laptop. You don't need to show me over Teamviewer as I'm sure I have followed the steps correctly so far. My next idea was to try the new USB 2.0 to TTL UART that is coming in the mail. I do appreciate your help.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

The new adapter arrived today. I tried it with no avail. I followed each of your pieces of advice but I can't manage to get it to work.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Suggestions:
  • check that the teensy is detected as a joystick by your PC
  • check that the proper CP2102 driver is installed (driver date & version)
I will try to make a serial port test program ASAP.
GIMX creator
will851

Re: DIY USB adapter not working

Post by will851 »

To test if your CP2102 works (I used this method), look towards the bottom of this ebay listing. Basicallyn connect the RX/TX to each other and see if you receive what you send.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320923619625? ... 1439.l2649
Matlo

Re: DIY USB adapter not working

Post by Matlo »

Excellent :) I didn't realize it was possible using the arduino ide!

We should mention this in the wiki.
GIMX creator