System set up

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
will

System set up

Post by will »

Hey Guys,

Firstly thank you for the wonderful software and exellent guide. I had a system laying about and decided to use my free time wisely to try get your software working on Ubuntu. I'm running the latest version (12.04) with .30 gimx.

First problem and I think its a simple one. I can't calibrate the mouse and I suspect the mouse/keyboard isn't recognised. I've not hard tested it yet against the PS3. When I start emuclient with calibrate/gui option selected to calibrate the mouse, I press Ctrl+F1 and nothing happens. I have a standard microsoft keyboard/mouse (optical) set up. Going by the tutorials, another screen should open.

Just wish to check on the mouse/kb issue before I go spend on some new kit. (If this is the problem, any recommendations on mouse/keyboard, i.e. compatibility issues?).

*Edited to add* I used the multiple mouse/kb option and the device name is filled in on the config screen, Dell USB Mouse/Keyboard.

Thanks in advance
Matlo

Re: System set up

Post by Matlo »

Do you use a bluetooth dongle or a DIY usb adapter?

bluetooth dongle -> gimx-bluetooth
DIY usb adapter -> gimx-serial
GIMX creator
will

Post by will »

Hey Matlo, I'm using a BT dongle, one of the recommended dongles that permantely saves the address. Think it was the sweet class one dongle.

Right now I'm using the system with my PS3 and the mouse/kb works but right now its un-useable, theres too much lag between movement inputs/commands. Estimate about 2 seconds delay between inputs. I've calibrated the mouse to values set in a previous tutorial for COD with a multiplyer of 15 and im using a config file from the site. Can you suggest a fix or an area to look at to reduce this input lag?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Are you using Ubuntu 12.04? If yes, there is a known issue with it. The only work around is to use Ubuntu 11.10.
GIMX creator
will

Post by will »

Hey Matlo,

Yes I'm using 12.04. I will try 11.10 and will let you know!
will

Post by will »

11.10 solved the latency issues.

If you don't mind can I ask you one final question on configuring the mouse. I've calibrated the mouse, used the values given and edited the DPI to 10,000 (maximum it would take), I don't know the DPI value of the mouse, would this be counter productive?

I'm running a multiplyer of 20 with a x/y ratio of 3.00 and the deadzones are 22 but my mouse movement in the horizontal/vertical plane is slow. I.E. Its virtually impossible to do a 180. What setting can I change to increase this so a small movement on the mouse = larger movement on screen.

On the mouse calibrate screen, when I move the mouse LEFT/RIGHT, the input never reaches full on the graphical display.

(everytime i enter the calibrate mouse screen, the values reset, is this normal? just wish to check incase its not saving my values).
laytonanthony

Post by laytonanthony »

what game you calibrating to?
will

Post by will »

call of duty series, mainly MW3!
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The DPI value in gimx-config or gimx-fpsconfig does not change your mouse DPI.
It does not make any sense to set it to 10000...

The only purpose of the DPI value is to convert someone else's config using "Replace Mouse DPI" in gimx-config or "adjust sensitivity" in gimx-fpsconfig.

You have to know how many DPI your mouse can track. Then you'll be able to convert the CallOfDutyBlackOps.xml file provided with GIMX.

Last note: I suggest you to buy a better mouse, Dell mice are usually not designed for gaming, are typically only track 400/800 DPI.
A good gaming mouse can track at least 2000DPI (like the logitech G5), and a high-end one can track 5700DPI (like the logitech G500).
GIMX creator
will

Post by will »

Already have one on order! :D

Will report back if it doesn't solve the problem! thanks for the help so far!