Simucube 2 oscillations on PS4

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
sakserv

Simucube 2 oscillations on PS4

Post by sakserv »

Hello,

I recently purchased an official pre-built GIMX adapter to use with my Simucube 2 Pro + PS4 + Gran Turismo sport. It all works well except for a bad oscillation when the wheel is centered.

A similar issue was reported with the Simucube 1 in viewtopic.php?t=3505 - I did attempt to invert the FFB and that made driving impossible, so I don't believe that to be the cause. I have also tried quite a bit of tuning in TrueDrive (simucube software) and have not been able to eliminate the oscillations. I've tried the "failsafe" TrueDrive profile as well and still encounter the same issues. I did make sure the wheel range matches, which is 900 degrees in the case of the LC500 I'm testing with. I'm using the EMUG29PS4.hex firmware.

Here is the logfile:
https://pastebin.com/RjH9iQTL

Even with my hands completely off the wheel, gas, and brakes, you should see the wheel continuously moving in the logs. Please let me know what additional details I can provide.

Thanks in advance.
sakserv

Re: Simucube 2 oscillations on PS4

Post by sakserv »

Hate to be a bother, but any potential workaround or thoughts on next steps?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hello,

Sorry for the slow reply.

Please post a debug log file (select "Messages > debug" in gimx-launcher) with 'controller' and 'haptic' checked. Make sure to reproduce the issue while generating the log file.
GIMX creator
sakserv

Post by sakserv »

Thanks for following up. Here is the debug log (gist due to size limits at pastebin):
https://gist.github.com/sakserv/e08be55 ... d6ecffd660

In this test, I started a race prior to starting up the gimx process. As soon as I start up the gimx, you should be able to see the oscillations start. I then drove around a corner and again the oscillations start in a straight line. I then grabbed the wheel tightly so the oscillations should have lessened, but are still present. Finally, I brake. I did add my shifter and a Cube Controls wheel since the last log, so you'll see slightly different devices here, but the issue remains the same. Let me know if I can provide any additional details.

I will note that I did some additional experiments today, and I've been able to mostly eliminate the issue through TrueDrive by turning the dampening up to 100% and bumping up the force reconstruction filter to 8, although the ffb is pretty muted with these settings, so it's not a great fix. Happy to try any experiments you have in mind.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Thanks. Could you disable the spring effect in TrueDrive and check if oscillations stop?
GIMX creator
sakserv

Post by sakserv »

Thanks for the suggestion. The only place there is a spring related setting is in the "DirectInput Effect Fine Tuning" section, not the main tuning section. I have tried with 0%, 100%, and 200%, and no difference was noticed; the oscillations continue.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

This is the force applied to the wheel:
const.png
const.png (71.22 KiB) Viewed 14015 times
And this is the position of the wheel:
wheel.png
wheel.png (56.6 KiB) Viewed 14015 times
As you can see the wheel oscillates off-center. I think the wheel center and the force center are somehow not correctly aligned. Maybe there is a setting somewhere to offset either the wheel center or the force center?
GIMX creator
sakserv

Post by sakserv »

Thanks again for the follow up and sorry for the delay.

There is a setting called "Desktop wheel centering strength", but I have it set to disabled. I think I'm going to try to cross post this to the granite devices forums and see if they have any ideas based on your analysis. I'll follow up as I hear more.
mtakala

Post by mtakala »

Hi,

Its Mika Takala from Granite Devices here. Greetings from the snowy Finland!

We do not have a GIMX adapter at the office to test with. Can the developers tell me what DirectInput effect the device is using, and what parameters are being sent to the device when the oscillations happen?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The best way to proceed is to make a capture using API monitor. There is an API monitor usage example on the GIMX wiki: https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Fo ... rect_Input

The instructions can be adjusted to capture the DirectInput interactions of gimx.exe (instead of ffb_x.exe). The gimx.exe command line to use is:

Code: Select all

gimx.exe -c Simucube2HECubeSQG29.xml -p COM4 --subpos --force_updates --auto-grab
GIMX creator