mouse help

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
wickytang

mouse help

Post by wickytang »

First of all thanks for the program. The possibilities look amazing. I have basically got it running, except can't get mouse settings I'm happy with. I'm using a core2duo laptop of ubuntu 11.04 installed and logitech mx518 mouse. I have changed the polling rate to 250hz like suggested.

After reading basically every thread and reply/ blog post and replies, trawlinf for any information I still can't get my mouse settings working well.

So I just need help doing so, and a feww terms defined. I think I basically get deadzone. But whatabout multiplier and ratio.multiplier is like a speed increase or decrease? And ration is the effect this has on x and ) ? What about exponent is this like mouse acceleration?what is the difference between rectangle a and circle deadzone. Should I turn in game aim assist off, and do I need to turn off mouse acceleration in ubuntu? Alsoin conf what is the difference between old dpi value and new dpi value. I know my mouse is 1600 so why is dpi asked for twice. No matter what I try I can't seem to get it smooth enough or fast enough. Or when I jerk the mouse around I move slower than I do using slow movements.

The game I'm trying to get this going for is bad company 2. Getting ready for bf3 and want to have a kick ass config by then. Trying to map joystick aswell :)

Thanks for any help
McKack

Re: mouse help

Post by McKack »

Bad Company 2 supposedly has an ellipse dead zone and kind of like Killzone the aim also has a sluggish acceleration/deceleration built into it. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Bad Company 2 and there's no demo for it, otherwise I'd give calibrating it a go since I also have the MX518.

Either way, here's a copy-paste of some basic information in layman's terms regarding calibration that I've been giving to people PM'ing me on YouTube asking about what the heck everything does.

--

To get the best results you should start the emulator in calibration mode and play around with the values since both personal preference and mice vary greatly ;)

Multiplier
These are the values you want to increase if your aim is moving too slow. For instance, you'll need a pretty high multiplier with a low exponent.

Just remember, most of the time it's crucial to set your sensitivity in-game to a high value, preferably max, before starting calibration.

X/Y ratio
This determines how much faster or slower aiming up and down (Y axis) is related to sideways (X axis). A value of 3.0 for instance would make you aim incredibly fast up and down, whereas 0.1 would almost make it impossible to move the aim up and down.

Dead zone
Dead zone calibration is where you will most likely get rid of jerky aim. When you calibrate the dead zone you want to be able to move the mouse as slowly as possible and make sure that the aim moves just one pixel at the time in-game, instead of random jumps of 2-4 pixles. (Note: while in dead zone calibration moving the mouse slightly will make the aim start moving by itself continuously. Then all you need to do is scroll the mouse wheel until you see the aim moving real slow by itself.)
Remember to go out of dead zone calibration (by pressing rctrl+f3 for example) to test the results of your adjustments. Also, as a rule of thumb I always up the dead zone a little bit to get rid of potential jerky aim when aiming slowly. So if you find through dead zone calibration that the aim starts moving by itself slowly around 22, I'd set it to 25-30 instead.

Exponent
To keep it simple, think of Exponent as acceleration. An exponentially faster aim, the faster you move your mouse. An exponent of 0.39 will most of the time give you a 1:1-like aim (meaning there is little to no acceleration when aiming) Having a higher exponent will make the aim accelerate but you won't need a high multiplier.

After having played around with these settings and you've learned what changes what and how they work together, you can start fine tuning it to fit your personal preference. Good luck!

--

- There is no need to adjust the acceleration in Ubuntu as the emulator reads raw data from the mouse.

- The DPI option is meant for adjusting values automatically for you if you're changing your mouse, or know the DPI used by the creator of the config (handy when sharing configs on the forum here, for example)

- Auto aim on or off in games depends on what you feel most comfortable with. There are advantages and disadvantages either way. I prefer it on in Black Ops, but not necessarily in all FPS games.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
wickytang

Post by wickytang »

ahhh thank you great help.

the explanation of the terms and goals is great. the emu comes with a bad company 2 config. what dpi would of this been written for. because in that case i could chance it to my 1600 and use it is a starting point?

does anyone know what dpi the default configs are written for?

one more thing. in the config program what is the 'overall' tab used for and how is it used/should it be used?
wickytang

Post by wickytang »

since you have the same mouse, maybe i could have your blackops config. just to make sure it its not my dongle or somehting giving me glitchy movement. want to see what i should expect one configured propery

thanks again
McKack

Post by McKack »

I think Matlo used a Logitech G5 when he started making the configs but have since then upgraded to a Logitech G500, so that would mean either a DPI of 2000 or 5700. Not sure if he's updated all the configs with his new mouse.

--

Overall tab
The Overall tab is used for assigning Triggers for multiple configurations and Stick intensity adjustment.

Multiple configurations
Useful for situations like:
  • Tactical changes in button layout during gameplay
  • Changing sensitivity of aim in FPS games on the fly - fight that sticky aim down sight
  • Using a controller with not enough buttons - holding down one designated button can change the function of all the other ones!
  • Probably something we haven't thought of...
In Black Ops, for example, when you aim down the sight, the sensitivity is slowed down by the game.
Using multiple configurations (in one config file) you can counteract this effect by having an identical second configuration, but with a slightly higher "sensitivity", using exponent and/or multiplier.

If you want to do this and make a copy of your configuration from slot 1 to slot 2, you first make sure configuration 1 is selected under the Configuration menu, then under the Edit menu select Copy Configuration. Then select configuration 2, and under Edit select Paste Configuration .

Now (while you're on configuration 2) go to the Overall tab, click the Auto detect button in the Trigger field and click your right mouse button (or whatever you use as your aiming down sight button) So, whenever you hold down your right mouse button, configuration 2 will be activated.

Finally, tick the Switch back box, this makes it so the configuration switches back to the previous configuration (1 in this case) upon releasing the trigger button.

Play around with the exponent and multiplier values now until it feels the way you want it when aiming down the sight. Just keep in mind that aiming down sight in games often take some time, but the second configuration is activated instantly, so it's easy to overshoot the aim the moment you start aiming if you overdo the "sensitivity" in the second configuration ;)

Stick intensity

The Stick intensity field lets you assign buttons that change the intensity of the emulated analog sticks. Since most people will have the left stick bound to WASD, this is a handy function for changing the walking/running speed in games that would specifically require it (stealth games among others)

For example, the mouse scroll wheel is basically two buttons, so you can bind both mouse wheel up (BUTTON_WHEELUP) and mouse wheel down (BUTTON_WHEELDOWN) to the respective fields to increase and decrease the left stick intensity whenever you want.

In the picture above, the Dead zone is set to 31 with 3 Steps of intensity and a circular dead zone shape, meaning you can set the intensity to 127, 95 and 63 using your mouse scroll wheel (127 being the default, max intensity)

--

Hope that explains the Overall tab. Oh wow, I also realize I've basically written half the calibration and configuration tutorial in this thread here. Might as well copy-paste it to the Tutorial section soon :mrgreen:
wickytang wrote:since you have the same mouse, maybe i could have your blackops config. just to make sure it its not my dongle or somehting giving me glitchy movement. want to see what i should expect one configured propery

thanks again
Sure, I'll post my configs in the Configurations and Requests section a bit later on.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
wickytang

Post by wickytang »

thanks again you went through in great depth> very usefull. will be good to try out your config! you happy with the feel for blackops on your mx518?
McKack

Post by McKack »

wickytang wrote:you happy with the feel for blackops on your mx518?
Yes very satisfied, the aiming feels very smooth, both using Bluetooth and USB adapter. I'm incredibly temptet to buy that Logitech G500 though.
wickytang

Post by wickytang »

okay i must keep tweaking. i sort of got some settings i was happy with but just doesnt feel right will keep playing
McKack

Post by McKack »

wickytang

Post by wickytang »

coolman thanks again for the help.

i got it working quite well. nice and smooth on blackops with your config (upped the multiplier heaps as it was too slow). one thing that bugs me. but it maybe normal for emu. is if i quickly move the mouse like a quick jerk it barely moves the screen at all. i read on an eagle eye review that this is a limitation of mapping a mouse to a stick

its really nice and smooth and i would play black ops using this. if only it didnt have the problem with the slow movement for fast mouse movement? is this normal?