[Solved] GIMX DIY adapter stopped working - ReadFile failed: timeout expired.

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
glosoli

[Solved] GIMX DIY adapter stopped working - ReadFile failed: timeout expired.

Post by glosoli »

Hello,

first of all, thank you - gimx is great, even though I have some problems with it right now. :)

***edit***
Solution in the 4th post.

I have created a DIY adapter based on the guide from GIMX wiki https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter

Windows 10 / Windows 7 (tried on both)

Target:
PS4 Slim

Firmware:
firmwares-5.8\EMUG29PS4\atmega32u4.hex

Wheel:
Logitech Wingman Forumla Force GP

Parts used:
  • Pro Micro 5V/16 mHz
  • USB UART CP 2102
Assembling:
  • checked USB UART by connecting RXD - TXD and sending data with Arduino IDE with success
  • checked cable used to connect to Pro Micro with USB UART RXD - TXD connection with success
  • checked soldering and wiring on Pro Micro by connecting it to USB UART and using Arduino IDE to loop some text via Serial and Serial1 and read data Serial Monitor on corresponding ports with success
  • uploaded some example sketches (blink) with success
So far the only problem I had with Pro Micro is that it wasn't always properly detected by my OS - seemingly on random it was detected as 'Arduino Leonardo(COMx)' or 'USB Device Not Recognized. Device Descriptor Request Failed' (code 43). - this had me worried, but I pressed on.
  • I've put Pro Micro into bootloader and loaded firmware with success.
  • I've run the gimx-launcher and everything worked great. Wheel was detected and game (Gran Turismo Sport) responded to my wheel inputs. It even worked with my Hama USB hub.
Wiring:
https://imgur.com/a/CIymw45

That was yesterday. Here's where the problem starts.

Problem:

This is the log file I'm getting now when connected to PS4: https://pastebin.com/eN2fhAp1
After some forum searching I figured that there has to be some bad connection somewhere.

Troubleshooting:
  • I've checked USB UART to Pro Micro connections, I've changed USB cables and got rid of USB hub in my setup but all to no avail.
  • I've tried connecting Pro Micro USB to my laptop and managed to produce this log: https://pastebin.com/GHQGgRRi which would indicate that indeed the adapter is working properly and there are no connection errors.
  • I've tried reflashing firmware, but I get the same results as mentioned above. Adapter refuses to get signal from PS4.
It all implies to be a problem with detecting Pro Micro by PS4 as everything else seems to be ok.

Should adapter (the USB from Pro Micro) be detectable in my laptops Device Manager after uploading firmware?
Any help appreciated.

Best regards,
glosoli
Last edited by glosoli on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaiba_seto2004

Re: GIMX DIY adapter stopped working - ReadFile failed: timeout expired.

Post by kaiba_seto2004 »

After uploading firmware, your AVR board will not appear in device manager, but UART board does.
You problem maybe a bad connection wired.
Your log file does not show info about UART board. Did you plug it into your PC?
PS4 enthusiast.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Soldering does not look perfect. Your solder iron is probably too hot. If you have a continuity tester, check that connection is ok between RX and TX pins on micro-controllers.
GIMX creator
glosoli

Post by glosoli »

@kaiba_seto2004 UART board was plugged to my PC.
@Matlo You're right about my soldering being wonky at best, but the connections are ok.

Anyway thanks guys for the replies. I've managed to solve my issue.

I've been reading up into bootloader burning via Arduino as ISP and noticed that some boards go with Device Signature 0x00000 error, which in some cases mean that the board is not powered up properly. This was the case with my Pro Micro when using paired with Uno as programmer. I figured that I might give it a shot with my problem.

Note: I'm using chinese clones, so this may not apply everywhere.

Solution

I've plugged my UART board 5V to Pro Micro VCC and everything is working like a charm.

Hope that this might help someone in the future.

Best regards,
glosoli