PlayStation Move Navigation controller?

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Matlo

Re: PlayStation Move Navigation controller?

Post by Matlo »

It works out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 11.10.

Turn the controller off, plug the usb cable to the PC, and press the PS button. Don't disconnect the usb cable, or the controller will connect to the PS3 instead of the PC.

There's a problem with the event detection in the configuration GUI. As a work-around, you can use the following config and set your own controls: link.
GIMX creator
SLOYAROLE™

Post by SLOYAROLE™ »

Okay. Here's where I am.

I am 110% positive you know exactly what you're talking about. Having said that, the PS Nav-chuck just does not work "out-of-the-box" for me. It just doesn't. So, here's how I got it to work:

I first upgraded to your new 0.24 GIMX and rebooted Linux and started from scratch. Got my BT dongle connected and made sure it was on. Just for good measure, I tried the Nav-chuck again...no luck.

Next, I got GIMX up and running with my PS3 using my DS3 connected via USB port. Everything was good in-game with kb/m.

This is where I just went out on a whim and tried something different. I disconnected my DS3 and connected my Nav-chuck to the PC. Loaded that NavController.xml you linked in the previous post. Hit the PS button. It worked! The Nav-chuck worked! However, no dice with the mouse movement.

In the NavController.xml, I noticed there was no "Right Stick" config for the mouse movement. When I tried to autodetect in the GUI, it just closed after flashing the teminal box for .10 second. I could not assign the mouse to right-stick via the GUI. Took a break after being at this since Friday.

Had another brainstorm. I opened my original ".xml" that I used for MW3 and copied just the script section for my mouse. Opened your NavController.xml and pasted it in the appropriated spot. Saved and Closed.

Opened the GUI and loaded the new .xml and sure enough, the mouse was listed in the "axis" tab along with the Joystick. Nice. Now let's put this to work.

Did everything I did initally with the DS3, replaced it with the Nav-chuck...and...boom. PS Nav-chuck with mouse support on my PS3. I think it was mor so the script you supplied than updating to 0.24 that helped me to get this working.

I still cannot change calibration values in the config GUI without it crashing, but once in-game I can start the calibration GUI that allows me to rctrl+F# and change any values I need to.

I probably didn't list each-and-every step I did (been working on this for 3 days), but this is the result from last night after upgrading to 0.24 and editing the NavController.xml you posted.

Again, I'm sure being a Linux n00b, I made this harder than what it should have been, but nothing I tried allowed my Nav-chuck to work. I might also ad that, My BT dongle isn't one of those cheap DealeXtreme.com dongles. Got it from Target (USA retail chain). Also, the dongle also keeps the DS3 address the entire time. My Nav-chuck doesn't have one I guess. (Even QtSixA doesn't see my Nav-chuck).

So, in closing. Thanks for all of your help, Matlo. This is all very new to me and to get this far in less than a week is a feat. Never touched Linux before trying this. I have no idea why my Linux doesn't see my Nav-chuck. Maybe a fresh install will help. Now that I know how to get to this point, I may do that and see what happens.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to detail what I made of this. Maybe it will help others.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

SLOYAROLE™ wrote: In the NavController.xml, I noticed there was no "Right Stick" config for the mouse movement. When I tried to autodetect in the GUI, it just closed after flashing the teminal box for .10 second. I could not assign the mouse to right-stick via the GUI. Took a break after being at this since Friday.

I still cannot change calibration values in the config GUI without it crashing, but once in-game I can start the calibration GUI that allows me to rctrl+F# and change any values I need to.
I know, if you connect the nav controller there is a problem with the event detection in the configuration GUI. That's referred in my issue tracking list as issue 134. This will be fixed in the next version.

As a work-around, just disconnect the nav controller while editing the config. Reconnect it before clicking 'start' in gimx-bluetooth.
GIMX creator
SLOYAROLE™

Post by SLOYAROLE™ »

Thanks for that tip. I'll use that tweak my left stick. The calibration GUI works perfectly for setting my mouse. Thanks a ton for the tech support. Will keep you updated.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The crash is fixed in GIMX 0.25.
The ps nav controller should now be accurately detected in gimx-config.
GIMX creator
SLOYAROLE™

Post by SLOYAROLE™ »

Thanks Matlo. Just saw that 0.25 has been released. Hopefully I can update to it tomorrow.
Matlo wrote:The crash is fixed in GIMX 0.25.
The ps nav controller should now be accurately detected in gimx-config.
Indread

Post by Indread »

Is this problem present in Windows, and has this been fixed in update .25 as well? I use Windows personally, prefer USB over BT.

Will I still need this workaround? : http://diyps3controller.googlecode.com/ ... roller.xml
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Indread wrote:Is this problem present in Windows
No, Linux and Windows are very different OSes.
GIMX creator
SLOYAROLE™

Post by SLOYAROLE™ »

I have a new question:

I'm up and running with GIMx as documented in this thread, so this question may seem a bit trivial (I'm kind of OCD about things).

In the picture below, the Sixaxis box will normally have the addresses of the DS3 and the PS3. Then you set the BT Dongle address so you can communicate with your PlayStation 3.

My question is, why doesn't the PS NavChuck have a BT address? I'm just curious. Does the PS NavChuck even have a BT MAC address?

Thanks.

Matlo

Post by Matlo »

It has a BT address, but it doesn't have the same USB identifiers.
GIMX creator