GIMX support for newer xbox one controllers

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
tmeshleman

GIMX support for newer xbox one controllers

Post by tmeshleman »

Hello all,

I'm a bit confused. A little more than two years ago I bought an xbox one to join my friends in the latter parts of Destiny. It came with a wireless controller model 1697. I bought the parts and put together the DIY adapter. I was having trouble getting it to work, so I hit the forums and saw that the newer controllers weren't supported. I wasn't sure if my issues were related to the controller I was using or not, so I borrowed an older controller from a friend. That one wasn't working, either - so I gave the old controller back and kept fiddling with the newer controller. After a couple days of on and off, it started working. I played through the remainder of Destiny and on into The Division, thoroughly enjoying the experience. My hat's of to Matlo for this incredible bit of software. Long story short, I walked away from it for a year or more. Coming back, I don't remember what version of GIMX I was using or exactly what I did to get the silly thing to work - I had thought that it was a bump in the road - not an incompatibility that would persist as this one has. Firing up GIMX 6.11, it complains that it can't find a controller without a 3.5mm jack.

I had a couple of questions - I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with undocumented successes in this case.
-Has anyone had any luck getting older versions of GIMX working with newer controller styles ? If so, I would love to hear your experiences.
-Does the firmware version of the controller matter ? If I'm to buy an older xbox one controller, do I need to be sure its not been updated ?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
tmeshleman

Re: GIMX support for newer xbox one controllers

Post by tmeshleman »

So I've gone back through the archives and found destiny raid release dates and cross referenced that against the GIMX release dates. I'm thinking I was using 5.1 and I've been doing my best to recreate the whole shebang, but I'm getting the 'no controller was found on USB buses' error. Take the controller variable out of the equation, because I know it was working at one point (I've also got an 'approved' controller on order). The hardware hasn't changed, either. I'm left trying to recreate all the fiddling I did two years ago to get this wonderfully complex animal to work.

Any pointers that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.
GoDlike

Post by GoDlike »

Sorry for late reply, Christmas, you know.

Do you use Windows or Linux/PI version?

Newest version should still work fine with the old controller as firmware wasn't updated.
My hardware: PS3 Slim CFW 4.80 | PS4 Pro 500 Million LE | PS5 | Xbox Series X
Steam: Godlike_RU | PSN: GoDlike_RU | XBL: GoDlike
tmeshleman

Post by tmeshleman »

Merry Christmas to you Godlike, and a happy new year!

No big rush in all this, I know it is the holidays. I'm currently using the DIY USB adapter and a separate windows 10 PC for input. I have an RPI, but it is currently service other purposes :D. GIMX isn't recognizing that I've a controller plugged in at all, as even when it is disconnected, the error message is the same. I have replaced the xbox controller driver and it is being listed in device manager under libusb-win32 devices. I've tried both libusb-win32 and libusbK drivers with the same result as well as multiple USB ports (both USB3 and USB2) and multiple USB cables. Any direction or troubleshooting steps you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

Please post a log file:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=691
GIMX creator
tmeshleman

Post by tmeshleman »

Hello,

You are absolutely correct, I should have posted the requisite information initially. I had thought that reinstalling the software I had missed something silly and was hoping for an easy fix. Anyway, as requested, see below:

Log copy/paste

Code: Select all

option -l with value `log.txt'
option -c with value `XOnePadUsbXinput.xml'
option -p with value `COM3'
status flag is set
subpos flag is set
force_updates flag is set
Detected USB adapter: XOnePad.
Reset sent to the adapter.
No controller was found on USB buses.
adapter_detect failed
DIY USB Adapter using a teensy 2.0 and a CP2102 USB to UART bridge.
Firmware - firmwares-5.0\EMUXONE\atmega32u4.hex
GIMX version 5.1

I'm using older versions because it what was working previously and the newer versions won't even try because my xbox one controller has a 3.5mm jack on it (USB ID 045E 02DD). I was either using 5.1 or 4.3 - I can't remember. I've got an older style xbox one controller ordered, but it isn't here yet.

Gaming target is xbox one.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I don't think it worked with this controller. The USB ids are hardcoded to 045E:02D1.

Also, I only provide support for the latest version.
GIMX creator
tmeshleman

Post by tmeshleman »

Thank you both for your time, I appreciate it. When the additional controller I've ordered arrives (hopefully it arrives in the next day or two and hopefully the USB ID matches) I'll bring all the software versions to current and try it again. If I continue to have issues, I'll post again.

Out of pure curiosity, was the USB ID to be used always hardcoded at 045E:02D1 ?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Yes, value has always been hardcoded to this value.
GIMX creator