DIY USB HELP!

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Linky

DIY USB HELP!

Post by Linky »

Ok, so I have bought an ATmega32u4 board off ebay (this exact one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280606391720)
and have also got the standard ebay CP2102 boards.

Now I'm only just starting to try and set this all up, and no matter what I can't seem to get ANY computer no matter what the OS to actually detect the ATmega32u4 board. I've tried it in windows vista, it looks for a driver and fails. I've tried on windows 7, it does the same as vista and OS X doesn't do anything.

I've tried with all three OS's to load up the .hex file required onto the board with no success.
(If it helps, when the board is plugged in I press the button on the board (DFU I think?) which should start the bootloader or something? Either way when this is pressed windows realises the board is plugged in but then fails to find any drivers :(.
Matlo

Re: DIY USB HELP!

Post by Matlo »

Did you installed the Flip utility?

I think this software includes the required drivers.
GIMX creator
Linky

Post by Linky »

I did install it but didn't realise all the drivers were accessible in the /usb/ directory.

Thanks for that :). Time to get this puppy under way (hopefully!)
Linky

Post by Linky »

(Hopes that Matlo reads this soon)

Ok, so I *think* I've loaded up the appropriate hex file to the ATmega32u4. I have now connected it using the guide's images although my model board isn't shown so I've had to guess the RXD and TXD connections :/

My setup:

I tried plugging it all in, PS3 didn't detect an extra controller. And also the config only shower COM1 and not USBtty0 or whatever is supposed to be shown :/

EDIT: Ok, so I've properly flashed the board now. It was protected before. I've plugged both ends in and the playstation is detecting the board as a controller now (turned on real controller and it went to player 2). Now the only problem is the fact that the PC is not detecting the USBtty and is still showing COM1...
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The connections seem OK.

Yes in windows the name is COMX and not ttyUSBX as in Linux. I updated that point in the tutorial.

You have to select the COM port that corresponds to the CP2102 board (check the number in the device manager).
GIMX creator