A couple of questions (PS4, RasPi, bluetooth)

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
art138

A couple of questions (PS4, RasPi, bluetooth)

Post by art138 »

Hello, I have a couple of questions! I've attempted to find answers for these but have not been successful; I apologize in advance if these have already been answered or the answers are obvious.

1. I am running the GIMX software on a Raspberry Pi 3 (Raspbian Jessie) and have already established communication between my PS4 and the Pi via the GIMX USB cable from the webshop but would like to get things working over bluetooth. Do I need a separate bluetooth adapter or will the Pi's onboard bluetooth suffice?

2. In regards to keeping a PS4 controller connected to the Pi, does it have to be the controller that I plan on playing with or can it be a separate controller (I noticed that a PS4 tutorial reccomend this for some reason)? What would be the benefits of using a seperate controller?

3. Lastly, I play Elder Scrolls Online on the PS4. I got things set up last night such that I had successfully mapped controller buttons to keysrokes and the setup was working as intended when navigating the Playstation system menu, but my controller was not recognized in game (I was able to press the PS button and return to the system menu where the keystrokes were appropriately recognized so I don't believe this to be an issue with the GIMX software). The game was asking me to reconnect the controller. Could this be a safeguard against unauthorized peripherals on the part of the game developers? Could it be that I was wired via the GIMX USB adapter and not setup over bluetooth (I am going to try a bluetooth setup when I get home from work tonight)? The lightbar on my controller was yellow, is that normal (videos online show controllers with blue lightbars)?

Thanks in advance for all responses :)
Matlo

Re: A couple of questions (PS4, RasPi, bluetooth)

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

1. Using the onboard bluetooth adapter is untested. You'll find detailed instructions on the Quick Start wiki page.

2. In USB mode a DS4 has to be turned off then connected to the RPi before playing. In bluetooth mode a DS4 has to be paired with the bluetooth module. This is explained on the wiki.

3. The default firmware of the adapter sold on the GIMX shop is the EMUG29PS4 one, which emulates a G29 wheel. This is probably not supported by your game. You can easily load the EMUPS4 firmware using gimx-loader. Click on Help>Update firmware in gimx-launcher.
GIMX creator
art138

Post by art138 »

Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't even thought about the Teensy having the wrong firmware on it :oops: . I will update it and post the results :)
art138

Post by art138 »

It was indeed an issue with me having not loaded the correct firmware :oops: Thanks for the help!