Joystick not found (G25 + PS4 + RPi 3 B + TIAO GBoard)

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
newk86

Re: Joystick not found (G25 + PS4 + RPi 3 B + TIAO GBoard)

Post by newk86 »

Hi Matlo,

Too late sorry, I wiped the SD card and started again from the start. I like to just try everything I can think of until something works.

Tested my wheel using GIMX and Windows PC, all good in Driveclub VR.

Next installed the latest version of Raspbian Jessie on the Pi that I could find from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/, that being the /raspbian-2017-07-05 one.

Had to get the HID for my wheel again via terminal (command sudo lsusb) because GIMX didn't detect it as usual in Linux/Raspbian. Replaced "Logitech G25" in the G25-G29 config with the HID that was reported. All good! Wheel worked on PS4 desktop, browsed to Driveclub VR and continued to work as it should in game. MAYBE there was a little bit less force feedback and a bit more of a deadzone on the wheel but this could have been placebo effect.

Next I tried GT: Sport VR*, but had a problem with my wheel always locking full left by itself. I could drive but had to fight it and wheel always returned to full lock when I let go. Had to go to sleep at that point but ready to try things again after work today.

Next thing I think I'm going to try is GT: Sport VR with GIMX on the PC again, just to figure out if it is a Rpi/Linux specific issue when it comes to GT: Sport and my wheel. If all good on the PC again, what I think I will try after that is downgrading the Pi firmware again via

sudo rpi-update 771a503cfc2a1130e2df2a4ddfc45ffa0f592b3f
sudo reboot

and then will see how that goes, although I haven't had much luck with downgrading so far yet. And will also try and grab a log file.

* Just an aside on GT: Sport, the game really sucks IMO as far as content goes, and for VR especially. I wouldn't recommend anyone paying full price, personally I grabbed it second hand for $40 AUD which is the absolute maximum I would pay (and there are a lot of second hand copies around already for a reason). Anyway, just my opinion. Also, I haven't been online with my PS4 for a week or so and GT: Sport hasn't been patched past what is on the disc. There is a chance that the wheel lock issue could be fixed via a patch too I guess and I will look at that too.
Last edited by newk86 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
newk86

Re: Joystick not found (G25 + PS4 + RPi 3 B + TIAO GBoard)

Post by newk86 »

Okay, I tried my wheel on GT: Sport via GIMX connected to a PC. Worked perfectly, no wheel lock.

Next I went straight ahead and downgraded the version of Raspbian I had installed on the Pi, which was Raspbian Jessie image 2017-07-05. I did this by entering the following in terminal:

sudo rpi-update 771a503cfc2a1130e2df2a4ddfc45ffa0f592b3f
sudo reboot

After rebooting, I had to do sudo lsusb again because after the downgrade my wheel was reporting a slightly different HID number. Replaced two digits on each line in the G25-G29 GIMX config accordingly, and then booted up PS4 as usual. After turning the controller on, was confronted with the original issue that I had with the old firmware again. Which from what I can tell, all of the buttons are messed up. Directional arrows on the wheel are gear shift, select = triangle, L2 = PS button etc.

This is the point that I would post a log but unfortunately I've forgotten how to get one. From memory the log file only appears if the GIMX session fails to launch correctly. What I think is going on though, is that GIMX thinks it is working, but it really isn't and is instead getting or sending the information for a different wheel to the PS4. Please let me know what I am doing wrong in order to get the log file to show up.

As for now, I think we are in pretty different timezones so I will attempt a few other things in the meantime until you hopefully get a chance to respond.

One thing I did notice on this attempt (after downgrading), was that the GIMX install method as per the Rpi wiki doesn't guarantee that GIMX is the up to date version. I happened to click help, update, and only then did it proceed to install the latest version. This was after I had downgraded Raspbian, so I might try go back to the later Raspbian again and try update GIMX this time. Since GIMX almost worked on that version except from the trouble at the end in GT: Sport.

EDIT: No good, installed GIMX onto the later version of Raspbian and it was the most up to date version of GIMX straight away. Tried again in GT: Sport and wheel lock issue persists. I think an older Raspbian version is the key, perhaps just a slightly different old version is required though. Will keep testing.

EDIT 2: Attempted the following tutorial https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1687, only difference being I swapped ttyAMA0 with ttyUSB0, and I skipped the part about the button because I don't have one. It worked in the end, with no monitor necessary as it is supposed to. But again got the same slightly weaker force feedback effect in Driveclub VR and plus the full left lock error in GT: Sport.

I'm starting to think that Rpi/Linux combo just might not be compatible with Fanatec GT3. I wonder could it ever work with it not being set to G25 emulation mode instead? Like could a GT3 config ever be created to work? Please let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions. I've taken notice of the CronusMax DriveHub the meantime, which sounds like it does something similar inside the device. $150+ AUD with shipping though, I may as well just sell my wheel and buy another one, although probably can't deal with the hassle of that either. Thanks.