Help out a noob :)

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Integrater

Help out a noob :)

Post by Integrater »

Hi, tomorrow I will be buying a PS3 mainly because I can buy the Eagle Eye adapter and use my mouse and keyboard, but seeing as this emulator could potentially save me £50 I would like to try to get it working. The problem is there are a few things I don't quite understand.

I am familiar with linux and know how to get that up and running, that should be on the PC right not the PS3?

Assuming Linux should be setup on the PC and the emulator configured I do not know how to connect the PC to the PS3, I assume that is what the Bluetooth dongle is for right?

So if I'm right, I will end up with my PS3 connected via BT dongle to a PC running Linux (with a configured emu). This will then be all that is necessary to use my mouse and keyboard to control my PS3.

Is there no way other than a BT dongle to connect the two machines? And after reading up I see something called a "bluecore4 dongle", what exactly is that? I've searched amazon and can't find any.

Any help appreciated.
cldfusion

Re: Help out a noob :)

Post by cldfusion »

You can also do a usb connection on windows for <$30 all you need is a teensy & a CP2102 chip.=) Problem with the dongle is they can be fake.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

Everything you are assuming is correct.

There are 2 solutions : bluetooth or usb. Both solutions are documented in the tutorials section. Both work in Linux, and only the usb solution works in Winsows. The best result is Linux+usb.

Bluecore 4 is the bluetooth chip that gives the best compatibility because its bluetooth address can be changed so that it can spoof the sixaxis one. Sadly there is no way to tell what chip is inside a dongle. On ebay many sellers from China are advertising dongles as bluecore 4 ones, but most of them are counterfeits and don't work. Buy a cheap one in a local store and see if it works is the best advice I could give.
GIMX creator
Integrater

Post by Integrater »

Thanks for the advice, I will just have to hope whatever BT dongle I get works.

Can anyone tell me the names of the dongles that you use and know has bluecore chip. It might be a good idea to create a thread where people can post the names of the dongles that work with this emulator.
uwontprevail

Post by uwontprevail »

almost every single blue tooth dongle you buy from the store will work.

IT is easy to set it up, and works so much better than the eagle eye does.

get your ps3, and don't buy the eagle eye yet(or at all )

We can help you out if you have any more questions.

There is a tutorial in a lot of languages in the tutorials section.

Follow that, and if you have any more questions just ask.
uwontprevail

Post by uwontprevail »

Integrater wrote:Thanks for the advice, I will just have to hope whatever BT dongle I get works.

Can anyone tell me the names of the dongles that you use and know has bluecore chip. It might be a good idea to create a thread where people can post the names of the dongles that work with this emulator.
Id just go to an electronics store and buy a blue tooth dongle.

See if it works (most likely it will).
Integrater

Post by Integrater »

Thanks for the advice guys, I was under the impression that a bluecore dongle was somewhat rare.
McKack

Post by McKack »

They're pretty common. I even got one of those tiny [most likely] counterfeit ones for under $2 and it works a treat. Snug fit in my keyboard as well.
MCK_4294C.jpg
MCK_4294C.jpg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Your dongle is probably not a counterfeit. If you open it you will most probably see a BC4 CSR chip.

I also got cheap true bluecore4 dongles from China (about 3$ on ebay), but only 2 out of about 20! Having to buy dozens of dongles to get a single true one (if you are lucky) may be very frustrating, that's why I don't recommend dongles from China anymore. Sellers don't even know what they are selling, if you ask them about the chip they will tell you it's CSR, but most of the cases it's not.

In the meantime I bought two dongles in a local store in France, and both are bluecore4...
GIMX creator
Integrater

Post by Integrater »

Hehe, I just bought one that looks exactly like that for £1 :)