Need help? Ask here and someone will help
The_Yoyo

Xbox 360 controller with DIY adapter

Post by The_Yoyo »

Hi all,

first of all:
the GIMX software version: 3.5
the OS: Windows 7 64bits
the adapter: DIY USB adapter (picture below)
the console: Xbox 360
the game: xbox dashboard
the controller: Xbox 360 controller
Teensy: teensy 2.0

I am trying to record my input on the xbox 360 controller while I play a game on the xbox 360. I think I could achieve this with GIMX.
I have the DIY adapter set up as explained in the tutorial for dummies. However, note that the Serial converter is not the same type as used there (so the wiring could be wrong). I use it in combination with a teensy 2.0.
I installed the firmware (EMU360/ atmega32u4.hex) on the teensy and got the serial adapter working (I tested this).

Just in case:
GND - GND
RXD - D3
TXD - D2

(I tried rewiring RXD and TXD, but that results in the 'no controller found' error)

So now, I can plug in my xbox 360 controller into the PC (Driver: xusb21) and plug in the DIY adapter (into PC and console) and then I turn on my console. I then start the GIMX-launcher, select the Windows_X360PadUsbXinput.xml config ( it says it is OK when I test it) and click start. In the GUI or Terminal window I can see my input on the controller being registered. However, the Xbox does not respond to my input,so I am still doing something wrong. Perhaps it is the order in which things are plugged in?

Any help is appreciated!
Matlo

Re: Xbox 360 controller with DIY adapter

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
Did you installed the libusbk driver?
The instructions are here: http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Qui ... structions
GIMX creator
The_Yoyo

Post by The_Yoyo »

I installed it (libusbK v3.0.7.0). Now if I click start in the GIMX-launcher (with terminal output) it says:

- When using the WINDOWS_X360padUsbXinput:

-When using the WINDOWS_X360padUsb

Also, the LED on my controller keeps blinking since the driver update..

What could be the issue?..
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I think you loaded the wrong firmware. Make sure to load the EMU360/atmega32u4.hex firmware, and not the EMUXBOX/atmega32u4.hex.
GIMX creator
The_Yoyo

Post by The_Yoyo »

You might have been correct on that, although I can't say for sure. Anyway, now when I click start in the GIMX-launcher, the terminal tells me the same output I uploaded above, only this time it says:

spoof started
spoof succesful

after which it tells me it can't find the controller.. (joystick not found....etc. )

I have the feeling that I'm close to getting it work, but something is still wrong.. Also, the libusbK driver is recognized as a controller driver on windows, but there is no way of finding any input (normally running joy.cpl would work for example) So the GIMX config also does not recognize any button presses etc.

THanks for the help so far,
any other ideas?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Try to install or update DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download ... aspx?id=35

You have to uninstall the libusbK driver to be able to use the 360 pad as a joystick.
You have to reinstall it each time you reboot the 360 or replug the Teensy.
Things will be a lot easier in the next release...
GIMX creator
The_Yoyo

Post by The_Yoyo »

I got it working!

I already had the latest Directx, so that was ok.

I followed the line of your advise, and did the following (for anyone with the same issue in the future:)

-Teensy 2.0 and USB Adapter were functioning. 360EMU firware loaded on the teensy. Wiring:
Rxd - D3
Txd - D2
GND - GND

-Installed the LibusbK driver for the xbox 360 controller.

-plugged in the Adapter cable and connected it with the Xbox 360. Turned on the 360.
-Plugged in the controller into my pc.
-started the GIMX-launcher, and selected the WINDOWS_x360PadUsbXinput.xml configuration
-Clicked 'Start'
Spoof was succesful.
-Uninstalled the LibusbK-driver (reverted back to the original driver).
-Closed the Gimx Screen, and Started another Launch attempt.
-The spoof was of course 'already previously made', but this time, with the old driver, the joystick is found, and input is transmitted to the xbox!

So now the only thing is that I will need to re-install and unistall the LibusbK driver each time I want to play. I guess that is what you planned on fixing in the next release?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help! I might upload a video of the result later!
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The_Yoyo wrote: So now the only thing is that I will need to re-install and unistall the LibusbK driver each time I want to play. I guess that is what you planned on fixing in the next release?
Yes this will be fixed in the next release.
GIMX creator
The_Yoyo

Post by The_Yoyo »

Not my intention to vamp this thread back to life, but has the entire 'install/unistall LibusbK' procedure for the xbox 360 controller been bypassed yet in the newer versions of GIMX?

I'm asking, because I reinstalled my pc, and I can't seem to get my xbox 360 controller ---> pc ---> DIY adapter ---> Xbox 360 setup working anymore...

If it is fixed, what is the current order of plugging in and/or installing?