new - question about setup

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
Rahabib

new - question about setup

Post by Rahabib »

I have just heard of this and have a few questions.

1) First off, its stated many times to use a bluetooth adapter, can you use built in bluetooth on a laptop? (its broadcom so I know its not permanent, but just to try).

2) next, if #1 cant, then I do have a bt adapter at work that I think will work. Can I use it on my laptop that also has bluetooth or is that going to cause issues? interference/etc.

3) when changing the address permanately, does that stop use of the bluetooth device for anything else? I think I saw its reversible, but I probably should find out for sure.

thanks for you help.
Rahabib

Re: new - question about setup

Post by Rahabib »

another question: how do you tell what what the exact chipset you have? I just run "hciconfig -a" but all my adapter says is "Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)"
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Rahabib wrote: 1) First off, its stated many times to use a bluetooth adapter, can you use built in bluetooth on a laptop? (its broadcom so I know its not permanent, but just to try).
Just try it! Some broadcom dongles work, some others have issues. There's no other known method to guess if a broadcom dongle works.
Rahabib wrote:2) next, if #1 cant, then I do have a bt adapter at work that I think will work. Can I use it on my laptop that also has bluetooth or is that going to cause issues? interference/etc.
The Linux bluetooth stack supports multiple bluetooth devices!
Rahabib wrote:3) when changing the address permanately, does that stop use of the bluetooth device for anything else? I think I saw its reversible, but I probably should find out for sure.
In fact, it only stops you to use it at the same time than the real sixaxis, because it uses the same bluetooth address (unique identifier). Yes it's reversible, read the FAQ.
Rahabib wrote:another question: how do you tell what what the exact chipset you have? I just run "hciconfig -a" but all my adapter says is "Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)"
Just read the tutorial, install the software and start sixemugui. The dongle manufacturer and chip version are displayed.
GIMX creator
Rahabib

Post by Rahabib »

thanks.

for #1, its built in to the laptop not a dongle. Does the bt adapter have to be an external dongle?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Some internal dongles work.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

I'd say it being reported as a CSR through hciconfig is a good sign to begin with.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Rahabib

Post by Rahabib »

tried it on my laptop with the Broadcom 15 with Mint 10 (32). everything said it was fine, but I couldn't get it to recognize any keys or the mouse with any xml config. I then tried it again with the cirgo usb dongle and same thing. The screen would dim and then the tiny black box would show up to capture the mouse, but the gui didn't register anything, not even the track pad etc.

I then tried it with Ubuntu 11.04 (64) on my main PC with the cirgo usb and it worked but I had to go in and play with the config file to get it to recognize keys because all the defaults are for the Nostromo pad.

Ill try again with the laptop as I dont see why it wouldn't work unless its a problem with Mint (or 32 bit). Maybe I just need to edit the config more to get it recognize the mouse and laptop keyboard.
McKack

Post by McKack »

Yes, use the Replace Mouse and Replace Keyboard functions on the config in sixemuconf to get it to recognize your specific mouse and keyboard. It will be more obvious in the next release.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Rahabib

Post by Rahabib »

I had more time to play with it and everything works... kinda. Ill post the issues here since you may have already seen these before. I couldnt find anything specific however to my issues.

First of all, I got it to work. Since everything is very device specific (I didnt realize that), I had to go in and replace the devices as you said, thanks again! I got it up and running with the Broadcom 15 internal bluetooth. Its not permanent, but its not a big deal since I have the controller around and it only takes a second to reapply.

The first issue comes from the config program. I use a EEEPC 1000h netbook and Mint 10 (32). The screen resolution is set to 1024x600. The config program's window is taller than 600px (not by much) which has two problems. One, If the window is maximized or at the top of the screen, when I try to click anything it tries to resize the window making it jump up and down and making it so I cannot click anything. If I hold down the left mouse it will turn into a hand to grab the window and then I can move the window down a few pixels and then I can interact with it normally. The second problem with this is that since I have to move it down a bit, its cuts off the contents at the bottom of the screen. Luckily I bearly have enough to click on buttons and cell rows. Ill try auto-hide the bottom bar to see if that helps, but I thought you might want to know about that. If you need me to Ill cut and paste this into the support or feedback forum.

The next issue is the biggest one. For some reason, my right mouse once clicked stays active. I set up a config for Killzone 3 and set up my right mouse button to ADS (r3). Once the right mouse is clicked, the ADS works but its held in place. I can click it a million times and it it will not go down. The gui shows the r3 button held down and you cannot toggle it off - with the right mouse button anyway. As a work around, I have another key set for r3 and when I push that, it will toggle the ADS off again. I forgot to check in the gui if the r3 is still held down. I have also found from time to time some of the left stick keys (mainly the left and right left stick keys) sometimes get stuck. Generally, they unstick by pushing other buttons a bit but when you are standing still with the sniper its a bit trippy to see you doing a side moonwalk when you aren't pushing anything. That doesnt happen often at least. And when you are moving around a lot you dont notice it much since its very slight.

Besides those few things, it works great (for killzone 3 anyway). I just wanted to say that I am very happy you were able to support all the buttons on my G5 mouse including the side scroll buttons! I was not expecting that at all - thank you for going the extra mile on that. The mouse works pretty well. Its a bit floaty but much better than using a DS3 and a bit better than using the Move. I loved the PS Move, but few games will use it, and I hate the DS3 so much that I had to find some other way. A few years ago I tried XIM2 which works similar to this only with a converter USB box. I had mixed results, it worked but you would have to spend hours up on hours to get it working. I was up and running with GIMX in half the time and I dont need to be wired (to the PS3 :P).

Thanks again for the great work you have done on this. I hope there is a means to fix the button holding issues. I did read the FAQ about the input lag, and since I have Mint 10 (equivalent to 10.10) it didnt seem to help, but that may be because I copied and pasted what you had and didnt convert your angled quote marks to standard straight quote marks like most scripts. Ill try that again tonight if you think it will help. the main thing is that, its not exactly the same issue, so I am not sure thats the fix.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Please copy-paste the content of your config file within a code tag.
GIMX creator