GIMX with BananaPi M1 SoC

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
balz333

GIMX with BananaPi M1 SoC

Post by balz333 »

Hello together,

until now I used the GIMX adapter with my PC and the environment works very well. Because the PC consumed very much power I want change to a Single Board Computer like a BananaPi M1.
On the M1 is running a Debian version 9 (Stretch) and the gimx installation was successful. My Thrustmaster T300 will recognized from the linux kernel but I don't have a special Thrustmaster driver for Linux. Because the windows config file should not used for the linux installation I wanted to create a new one. But the gimx-config tool doesn't recognize the brake and gas axis. I'm not sure if the GIMX software needs the Thrustmaster driver or only routed the USB information to the PS4. Somebody knows that?

Unfortunately these would be the end of my little project because it seems Thrustmaster don't support linux

My setup:
- Thrustmaster T300 wheel -> BananaPi M1(Debian 9) -> GIMX adapter -> PS4
- last version from Debian 9 and GIMX

Finally again, with Windows everything works very well and I have no hardware issues with the wheel or the GIMX adapter.

thx@all
Mario
Matlo

Re: GIMX with BananaPi M1 SoC

Post by Matlo »

Moved to the GIMX discussion section.

The supported wheels on Linux are listed on the wiki: https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Gu ... imitations

This list is not exhaustive. Any other wheel supported by the Linux kernel should work.
GIMX creator
balz333

Post by balz333 »

Hello Matlo, I want ask you again. Needs the gimx software a linux driver (Logitech, Thrustmaster or other API) or translate the emulator only the native USB-commands in a PS4-compliant G29 command?

For me it looks the linux kernel (4.9) can basically handle the Thrustmaster device. I think that, because the gimx-config tool can recognize the wheel axis in the "Axis" register - not the brake or gas axis. But if I choose the "Overall" register and axis sensitivity then the brake and gas axis will be correct detected. That means for me the kernel can signaling the needed information. Now the question to you, why detects the config tool not all axis correctly at the "Axis" register.

Additional I have compared the detected device-id and button-id with my windows config file. Excatly the same. You have decribed the exchange from both config types is not possible. Is it possible to translate my windows config in a linux style ? Then I could try if the adapter is working and the issue is only in the config tool.

Thanks again
Mario
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

GIMX needs the kernel to support the wheel. GIMX does not talk to the wheel directly.

Devices (mice, keyboards, joysticks) usually implement the HID standard that makes them automatically detected by the operating system. In many cases no specific driver is needed. But manufacturers often have vendor-specific (non-standard) commands to tweak their devices. So if you have almost all controls working, this is very likely because the device implements the HID standard. And if you don't have all controls working, then this means the device needs non-standard commands and/or the reports need to be interpreted in a non-standard way.

The bad thing is, each wheel manufacturer has its own protocol for the force feedback commands. As far as I know only Logitech has published its force feedback protocol. This is the reason why Linux (and GIMX) has good support for the Logitech wheels.
GIMX creator
balz333

Post by balz333 »

Hello Matlo, thanks for the explanation and for your effort to develop of the GIMX adapter - great job.

I understand the differentiation between standard and vendor-specific USB commands. But I still don't understand why in one part of the gimx-config tool you detect the axes correct and in the other part not. If in my case the commands were vendor-specific you should never recognize the axes. Please note again:

gimx-config -> "Axis" -> "Auto detect" -> wheel will detected, gas+brake will not detected

gimx-config -> "Overall" -> "Axis sensitivity" -> "Auto detect" -> gas+brake will detected, wheel will not detected

Is there really a different detection in this both program parts?

Have a nice new year celebration !
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Your pedals are seen as buttons, not as axes.
GIMX creator
balz333

Post by balz333 »

Only as notice for other GIMX Linux users. There is a project for Thrustmaster wheels to initialize these correctly.

https://github.com/her001/tmdrv
https://github.com/her001/tmdrv/tree/t300rs

With that all Axes and Buttons will correct recognized from GIMX - unfortunately without FFB support. I think the reason are the vendor-specific commands as Matlo explained.

Realy pity to stop my project at this point.