Running GIMX on CHIP!

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
Tom

Running GIMX on CHIP!

Post by Tom »

Hello all.

I'm totally new to GIMX. I built it from source and started it up to pair a DS4 with PS4. I'm not totally sure how am suppose to get PS4 bdaddr as running the shell script ./gimx-ps4-helper.sh seems to wait upon a bluetooth dongle to be unplugged / plugged but CHIP has an internal bluetooth module so this step should not be required technically.

Also when I had tried running /usr/bin/gimx-launcher it asked to download config files from the internet but it said they weren't available. I didn't know if trying to pair a DS4 without config was ok?

I'm using the PS4 USB to power the CHIP which doubles as USB OTG. I'm looking for pointers on what to test to see if it's working out. I also have a PS3 with a DS3 to test with.
talolike

Re: Running GIMX on CHIP!

Post by talolike »

From where u got that C.H.I.P so fast?
Tom

Post by Tom »

talolike wrote:From where u got that C.H.I.P so fast?
I backed the project on kickstarter. I ran into a catch 22 here I cannot plug in a DS4 while keeping the keyboard and mouse wireless dongle plugged in when attempting to pair the two in the GUI. I need to pick up a powered USB hub. Or try setting up VNC. Need to download client for MAC. Can't wait to get this working!

I am having some trouble with the GUIs handling the config files many asserts pop up.

The 1st thing I would like to do is use an X-Arcade dual fight stick on my PS4. I hope GIMX can emulate a Generic USB GamePad. If so I don't need to deal with pairing a DS4 to play most fighting games. There is a Custom Driver made by John Bellomy (naughty dog) which you can read more about here.
talolike

Post by talolike »

Ah okey, im interessted on chip because rpi2 have latency issues, i hope chip can it besser handle it :D
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
I moved the topic to the discussion section, because CHIP is not officially supported yet.
I'm unsure if the BT module can be used to emulate a DS4.
If you want to go further you'll have to modify the gimx-ps4-helper.sh script.
GIMX creator
Tom

Post by Tom »

It's good that RPi & CHIP share many similarities. The GIMX Launcher & Shell script was able to pull up the DS4 & Internal Bluetooth BTaddrs. But modding the shell script or using launcher only get's to waiting for teensy to be plugged in. I'll have to rethink this a bit. CHIP has USB On The Go Serial Connection but it's powering CHIP so making OTG hot swaps is going to be difficult. I may try to power CHIP off of the header pins as a quick fix. There is also a separate option of adding a dedicated UART to USB Serial cable to CHIP once I pick up CP2102 as a DIY USB Adapter. Just trying to see what I can currently test and confirm with what is available to me. Btw I think the on board UART is sending serial to console. I can serial connect via terminal to chips console to login (g_serial). Will I have to remap that to something /dev/tty ? On a second note my 2nd chip has USB HID Gadget enabled g_hid and I tested the kernels hid.c with emulating a keyboard successfully on a PS4. I had to disable g_serial to get it to work.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I should receive mine this month.

My plan is to use the USB OTG port as the interface with the console.
On the USB HOST port we can plug a HUB so as to handle a controller for the authentication, and the other gaming devices.
Launching GIMX could then be done over WIFI.
GIMX creator
Tom

Post by Tom »

For remote troubleshooting I have a vnc server running on CHIP headless to test the GIMX GUI. I use ssh direct to test the GIMX command line.

How do you plan to integrate GIMX's Network API? That's sounds cool btw.

Can you recommend any tools or code samples to speed up testing USB OTG on the console? I'm also testing CHIPS USB OTG on PS4 as I don't have a Teensy to wire direct to CHIPs UART headers.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

gimx-launcher can be launched as a remote X11 application, even on Windows: http://www.eecs.yorku.ca/tdb/_doc.php/u ... -home.html
GIMX creator
Tom

Post by Tom »

That's cool my Mac has native X11 support.

Many chipsters are running TightVnc Server on CHIP.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
In linux it's a Xvnc wrapper (or a WinVNC wrapper for windows) that provides all the capabilities of a standard X server, but doesn't connect to a display for itself. Then to connect any VNC Viewer like RealVNC or TightVnc will do.

You also have the option to use TightVNC's built-in HTTP server to host a Java shared web desktop to clients without the need to install more software.