Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with USB

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
cortega1

Re: Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with

Post by cortega1 »

I made a video of the RPi screen alongside the corresponding gameplay footage, for those who have been running the system headless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uh9tOmf_RE
alkex92

Post by alkex92 »

cortega1 wrote:I was able to run this model directly from the PS4 usb port for power since this earlier model does not require much power to run.
Hi cortega1 could you please explain me the wiring? i cant figure out how to make everything works with only 1 usb port. Now im currently using all the ports on the PS4: one used to connect the teensy to the PS4 and the other one used to power the raspberry.
Do i have to get the power supply for it from the VCC and GND pins of the teensy?
Thanks
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

alkex92 wrote:
cortega1 wrote:I was able to run this model directly from the PS4 usb port for power since this earlier model does not require much power to run.
Hi cortega1 could you please explain me the wiring? i cant figure out how to make everything works with only 1 usb port. Now im currently using all the ports on the PS4: one used to connect the teensy to the PS4 and the other one used to power the raspberry.
Do i have to get the power supply for it from the VCC and GND pins of the teensy?
Thanks
alkex92, I connected a USB hub to a usb port on the PS4. In my setup I am using a Teensy board. The hub is connected to the GIMX DIY adapters Teensy end (mini USB port), and the other cable from this hub is connected to the RPi's Micro USB power port. In the video I was using an old usb 1.1 hub with a micro usb cable and a mini usb cable, but now I have a hub that has a micro usb and mini usb cable already attached that I'm currently using. I only connect the white usb male plug shown at the top. I have the red male plug and two usb female plugs zip tied to the box in the middle not doing anything.
I will note that not all hubs that I tried worked. I'm not sure why, but out of the 4 hubs I tried, only two have worked (The two mentioned above). This is another hub that I tried
It did not work on the PS4 end to connect to the DIY adapters Teensy end and power the RPi, but it does work coming out of an RPi usb port to connect the RPi to the DS4 controller and usb UART end of the GIMX DIY adapter.
I recently tried the cable pictured below that went from usb male to a micro and mini usb that also did not work on the PS4 end.

Everything else is connected as suggested in the GIMX wiki pages.

For a cleaner more streamlined approach, check out Rudi Rastelli's post (http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10 ... 9491#p9491)
ace192

Post by ace192 »

can someone upload a rpi image? i downloaded the two images and they're nowhere near the right size? can't seem to get them working :s
which version of pi does it work with? i have 1, 2 & 3
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

ace192 wrote:can someone upload a rpi image? i downloaded the two images and they're nowhere near the right size? can't seem to get them working :s
which version of pi does it work with? i have 1, 2 & 3
The two files on that waveform provided are .zip files, so you will need to unzip them before you can burn them to your sd card. The two zip files he provides are larger then the zipped Jessie file you would acquire from the raspberrypi.org web site. Are the zips you downloaded about 1.41'ish GB a piece? I can not confirm this, but I believe that the two images provided will work up to an RPi 2 model B. All you need to do is download, unzip, burn the file, slap the sd card into the appropriate RPi and run. Because the images do not contain the correct kernel, they will not work with an RPi 3 model B.
bertie

Post by bertie »

Wasn't getting updates for this thread, SORRY ALL - Will make an image and upload tonight (might even try and update GIMX first :? )
bertie

Post by bertie »

Image available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByDTi ... Ut3VG1GdEk

[*] Image created from Pi2, 8Gb card (run raspi-config to expand)
[*] Updated to GIMX 5.8
[*] Doesn't start X window system at boot
[*] Loads GIMX at boot
[*] RetroPie / Emulation station installed via https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... stallation but not configured to load on boot as I think this conflicts with GIMX - Basic install, No ROMS, etc.

* Remember to press PS button on PS4 controller before wheel will work *

My setup:

PS4 -> USB to Micro USB -> Pi Power
Pi USB -> USB to Micro USB -> PS4 Controller
Pi USB -> DIY USB Adapter -> PS4
G27 Wheel -> Pi USB
Dasato

Re: Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with USB

Post by Dasato »

Hi there once again.

I've bought a second hand Pi2 and I'll try the images with it. Thanks for the last one.

Hope to be luckier than with the Pi3, it never worked as I mentioned in my posts.

Regards
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

Dasato wrote:Hi there once again.

I've bought a second hand Pi2 and I'll try the images with it. Thanks for the last one.

Hope to be luckier than with the Pi3, it never worked as I mentioned in my posts.

Regards
I've been meaning to put up a RPi 3 automated GIMX setup video. I have a bunch of footage I took while setting it up, but I didn't get footage of the last and most crucial step (running GIMX for the first time directly from the RPi), and haven't gotten around to trying again. I can either piece together what I have so far and mention that GIMX needs to be run for the first time directly on the RPi to download a file, or wipe/get a different sd and go through the process again so I can get footage of everything.
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

Wait, wait, wait, are you meaning you have a RPI3 and GIMX is working properly?? I got to set up everything and PS4 recognized the G27, but after a few minutes playing any game the G27’s led starts blinking and I get a LIBUSB_TIMEOUT_ERROR in GIMX. So I have to restart the PI.

If it works for 1 or 2 hours it would be ok, but it works only for a few minutes!!

I finally give up believing there was a compatibility problem with the Pi 3 that’s why I bougth a Pi2!!

Could you please post the image file?

I hope to get the PI2 doesn’t fail or I’ll have a glorious brickPI…

PD: If I use the same DIY, the same cables, the same everything with the PC (W7, GIMX 5.7) I can play a whole day without problem. To discard a default USB cable I tried several ones. Same problem with the RPI3 and no problem with the PC