Is this possible with GIMX?

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
Thrill

Is this possible with GIMX?

Post by Thrill »

Hey there

I do speedruns on the PS3 and I've always wanted to have a sort of input visualizer while I play PS3 games to help show what I'm pressing.

To help explain this further, I basically want to use soemthing like this: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/pos ... lizer.html

But this only works when the PS3 controller is connected to the PC. Will GIMX in anyway allow me to use a PS3 controller on the PS3 while simultaneously sending those same commands to GIMX so people can see it (via a Bluetooth adapter or something?).

If not GIMX, is there anything anybody else can think of to accomplish this?
Matlo

Re: Is this possible with GIMX?

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

I moved this topic to the discussion section.

GIMX can be used with almost any controller including the DS3, and it can show control feedback. It can display output one line per refresh period (that can feed another program), or display a basic curses output as shown in the following screenshot:
GIMX creator
Jonovision

Post by Jonovision »

My curses only shows a maximum of 88 Hz no matter how fast I shake my mouse or other inputs. I have the last version of GIMX and it even looks a little bit different from your screenshot. I have even altered the polling rate of my mouse to 500 Hz with no change aside from a slight improvement in response time. Could this be the reason why my 16400 dpi mouse doesn't seem to do the same as McKack's 5000 dpi mouse, or is it completely unrelated. I know that GIMX config files only allow the existence of a dpi equal to or less than 9999, so I cannot even use a value of 16400 in my configs. And trust me when I say that even with such a high dpi, I cannot get games with large deadzones like Resistance 2 or Killzone 3 to play as smoothly as COD games. I have tried everything and the only thing that works is increasing the acceleration to 1, so then I just have to play using the in game acceleration. I would like to see what your input is on the subject.

Thanks
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The frequency displayed in the curses output is the frequency of the emulated controller.
Over bluetooth, the report frequency for a Sixaxis/Dualshock 3 is 1000ms/11.25ms=88.88Hz.
The frequency of the emulated controller and the frequency of the mouse are two completely different things.
Jonovision wrote:GIMX config files only allow the existence of a dpi equal to or less than 9999
I think it allows values up to 20000. Doesn't it?
Jonovision wrote:I cannot get games with large deadzones like Resistance 2 or Killzone 3 to play as smoothly as COD games.
The game input mechanics differ. KillZone is known to have bad input mechanics.
GIMX creator
The_Yoyo

Post by The_Yoyo »

Thrill,

I had exactly the same desire, and it is possible with GIMX! It does require some work though. I got the input visualized on my xbox 360, so I guess PS should work too. Check out my setup details here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1201