High CPU load

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Ivar

High CPU load

Post by Ivar »

Hi

I just discovered Gimx and thought I'll give it a try. My background is mostly PC gaming back in the days, and now PS3, trying both the Frag FX Shark and Eagle Eye converter.

Now.. the problem I have is with High CPU load when running the emu from gimx-bluetooth program (sixemu_0.40-1_i386.deb)
I have tried both the latest Ubuntu 12 and 11.10, the Ubuntu 12 installation running on my 3 years old Dell XPS M1330 and Ubuntu 11.10 on an Dell Optiplex 780.

I have tried 3 different BT adapters:
The M1330 onboard BT adapter: Wireless 355 BT (Broadcom)
A Logitech diNovo Mini BT dongle (I think that one also has a Broadcom chip)
And finally a unbranded Class 2 BT v2.1+EDR (BlueCore4-ROM), bought at Clas Ohlson (a store in Sweden)

All of the above dongles let me run the EMU but the same problem is persistent on all 3 dongles. The gimex-bluetooth process jumps to 100% when starting the EMU.

Anyone else experienced this?
Its quite frustrating, as the high cpu load induces lag sometimes, making me a sitting duck in BF3 :)

Update #1
Okay.. I tried to downgrade to sixemu_0.30-1_i386.deb and that one was working OK.
I noticed the emuclient process in my "top" list, and that the CPU hungry gimx-bluetooth process was gone.
Being new to this and not knowing what processes was needed to run, I decided to try running the whole thing from terminal/CLI.
I upgraded back to 0.4 version and followed the "run from Command line" guide on the wiki, and everything seems to be working much better :)

Question: Whats the purpose of the gimx-bluetooth process? Is that just the GUI for setting up the emu, and not needed to actually run the emu?

Best regards
Ivar
Matlo

Re: High CPU load

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

I opened a new issue: link.
I will try to reproduce it ASAP.
Ivar wrote:Question: Whats the purpose of the gimx-bluetooth process? Is that just the GUI for setting up the emu, and not needed to actually run the emu?
You are right, it's just a GUI that makes GIMX easier to use.
GIMX creator
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

Great :)
Just let me know if you need more info!

Best Regards
Ivar
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

Okay.. a little feedback after a few hours playing BF3;
The EMU and EmuClient is working as expected when running them in CLI. Ok on both the latest Ubuntu 12 and 11.10.

Issues:
1) Cannot use my BT MIC.
This will cause control lag. I know this is a known issue, just mentioning it again :)

2) Setting the "--force-updates" option in emuclient also causes lag after a few minutes play (Only tested in BF3)

Edit
3) Played some more this evening, and I'm struggling with my aim is jumping around when going in/out of ADS.
This was permanent during the whole evening. When I'm careful not moving my mouse (G500) when ADS'ing, everything is fine.
Any ideas?

4) I have one occurrence of having to reset the client and emu due to lag, maybe after 2 hours play time (BF3)

Cheers
Ivar
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I reproduced the high cpu load issue. It is specific to Linux, and it occurs since version 0.40.
Ivar wrote:I'm struggling with my aim is jumping around when going in/out of ADS.
Did you tried to use a switch delay?
GIMX creator
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

I reproduced the high cpu load issue. It is specific to Linux, and it occurs since version 0.40.
Good.. I was wondering if I was the only one having this problem :)
Did you tried to use a switch delay?
No.. I'll certainly try that when playing this evening, and report back!

Best Regards
Ivar
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I fixed the high cpu load issue.

If you want to test it you can follow the Linux build instruction.
GIMX creator
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

Hello Matlo

First I must say your support on this forum is superb :) Thank you!
I fixed the high cpu load issue.

If you want to test it you can follow the Linux build instruction.
I did, and it's working perfectly now.
As far as I can tell the latest patch also fixes my issue #2. I now can play with the "--force-updates" option checked.

As for my issue #3, the in and out of ADS problem was not solved by setting a switch delay.
I tried up to 400ms on both profile 1 & 2, and the shift in aim point was only delayed the same amount of time.
I did some more research on this.. and this even happens if I holds the mouse perfectly still and just using my RMB going in/out of ADS. Sometimes after 8 clicks, sometimes after 20, the number seems random.

I'll continue to investigate this.

Thanks again!
Cheers
Ivar
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

BF3 on PS3 is sadly known to have input latency and jerky aim:

http://www.doesbf3stillhaveinputlag.com
http://www.doesbf3stillhaveinputlag.com/archive
GIMX creator
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

I don't think this is input lag really, I never had that problem.
The mouse movements is responding quick and precise, only the sudden shift in aim point is sometimes the problem.

I don't have any capture card, but I'll try to make a video with my phone cam ASAP to show you the problem.

//Ivar