Mouse.. missing?

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Forbidden Era

Mouse.. missing?

Post by Forbidden Era »

Hey guys

So, I'm trying GIMX with mouse, if I move it too fast, it seems like it is "missing" input from the mouse.

Logitech G300s (2500dpi@1000hz), also had the same issue with a crap mouse, which didn't perform too bad other than that, some generic ibm crap office mouse probaly 100dpi but I got the logitech because I figured the increased resolution would help..its definitely a better mouse but same problem.

ps4pro, emuds4, tried doom with default config and wolf with default config

tried at 100hz, 125hz, 250hz, 500hz, but 1000hz crashes gimx anyway

tried various mouse sensitivity settings.. what does ratio do? how does velocity interact?

does red in the curses display mean "clipping" of some sort? I am occasionally seeing red.
Forbidden Era

Re: Mouse.. missing?

Post by Forbidden Era »

To clarify, like.. if I move the mouse a bit slower but still kinda quick, I can turn around 180 quite quick in game..if I whip the mouse, I only move like 3 degrees.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

GIMX wraps your mouse to a stick. There is a maximum turning speed (depending on the game).
GIMX creator
Forbidden Era

Post by Forbidden Era »

I completely understand this, of course.

What I am saying is if I move the mouse at 3/4 of my max mouse speed, I can turn 180 degrees, and it is nice and quick. Even if the turning speed was only as fast as it is at 3/4 mouse speed and I move faster, it should feel laggy/slower, yes, of course..but..

If I move faster. It like, doesnt move at ALL pretty much..more like it is missing input samples or something, not that it is maxing out stick speed. If it was maxxing out stick speed at this point then I would be happy.

Its like I can move the mouse faster to a certain point then any faster and it completely drops samples.. like you would expect it to maybe just move slower than you might want but if you are still moving the mouse far enough to turn around then it should turn around regardless of speed - of course the game actually in the end going only as fast as it can but if I move the mouse too fast it like doesnt even move at all, like 100% input loss

I looked at the calibration page and set the games up for as close to 1:1 as possible and the translation test seems fine. But then when I am testing translation manually, it is good until I exceed a certain speed then it drops all mouse input above that speed.

Sorry, trying to explain best I can. If this doesn't claridy than I will make a video.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Please post a log file as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=691
Make sure to reproduce the issue while generating the log file, and try to make it short.
GIMX creator
Forbidden Era

Post by Forbidden Era »

Okay, so here's a quick test with reproducing with Doom 2016 on PS4 with Logitech G300s Mouse @ 2500dpi, I opened fps-config and changed the dpi to 2500..

I also made a vidoe of the test:

Log from the events in the video:
https://pastebin.com/UrjyrEVp
kaiba_seto2004

Post by kaiba_seto2004 »

It is true, you can't flick mouse like you do on PC because this is dualshock emulating.
Moving mouse at an average speed is the best way to play ;)
PS4 enthusiast.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Thanks for the video and logs.

This is exactly what I said, there is no way to move a stick farther than its physical limits. With a stick value in [-127,127], if your mouse movement translates to a stick value of let's say 184, the resulting stick value will be 127 anyway.

The only thing you can do is to set in-game sensitivity to the maximum, which is a rule of thumb with mouse and keyboards adapters.
GIMX creator
Lucashsmello

Post by Lucashsmello »

It is really the limitation of the dualshock+console game. A work around i have done is what a call "motion overflow". As malto explained, a desired movement of 184 will be translated to 127, and the remaining (57) will be lost. In my gimx modified version, a small fraction of the remaining 57, will added to the next movement. The final result is that it will appears that the maximum stick/axis value has increased. This work around only gives a very little help.

To implement it, it is easy. Matlo already implemented a mechanism called "motion_residue", which it used for decimal motions (ex: 20.3, the residue is 0.3). "Motion overflow" is just a motion residue for exceed values of 127.

Commonly, the maximum angular speed for ps4 games is 500 degrees per second (Using maximum in-game sensitivity). It will take at least 0.72 seconds to do a 360 no-scope shot.
Lucashsmello

Post by Lucashsmello »

Using refresh period of 5 milliseconds (if possible) may helps for this situation. The default is 10 milliseconds.
In command line, use option "--refresh 5".