Input from a Virtual Keyboard/Program

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Bap

Input from a Virtual Keyboard/Program

Post by Bap »

GIMX v1.12
the OS: Windows 7 64-bit
the adapter: DIY USB adapter (USB to serial adapter/AVR USB board)
the console: PS3 (fat)
the game: N/A
the controller: Mouse: Razer Mamba, Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker

I've searched high and low for a solution to my issue, and found nothing. So I figured I might as well just see what I could find out from asking the Developer himself.

I've been developing a method for a live streaming website so that I may take the input from the viewers the chatbox, convert it and redirect it into GIMX allowing them to play games on consoles in a TwitchPlays format. I came across GIMX in my searches for a program that could allow me to control the console from a PC so that I may rally my commands from the website through a program and then into the PS3. The problem I've come across is that I can't figure out for the live of me how to allow GIMX to accept input from anything that isn't a physical keyboard. I've tried different input methods for days, and it doesn't want to take anything that isn't from my keyboard itself. I've even tried to setup multiple keyboards and mice, but it doesn't seem to want to accept data from those either when I try to rally the commands through them. I've tried the Windows virtual keyboard, and even created a virtual keyboard as well, neither worked.

GIMX works perfectly by itself, and I've tested it on multiple games. My program also works fine if it is directed anywhere else besides GIMX, so I imagine the problem lies in what GIMX actually accepts for input, and how to work around that. I've found old topics from 2011 about issues with a virtual keyboard not working anymore, and even tried a work around they claimed to have working, but that failed as well. So I was wondering if you'd have any suggestions about what to do so that this can work properly?

I'd love to keep using GIMX as apart of my project, and would love to credit the developers here for helping it to be a success. Thanks ahead of time. ~Bap
Matlo

Re: Input from a Virtual Keyboard/Program

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

This is a known issue: https://github.com/matlo/GIMX/issues/130

There are two workarounds:
  • use vjoy to emulate a physical joystick and write a feeder application
  • dive into the GIMX source code and try to use the remote connection feature (it should work but there is no documentation yet)
GIMX creator
tarrant_01

Re: Input from a Virtual Keyboard/Program

Post by tarrant_01 »

Older versions of GIMX support virtual key input. I use auto-it scripts and other macro software to send inputs to GIMX. 0.2ish version.