GIMX USB Adapter for dummies

Refer to the wiki instead of reading this section.
McKack

GIMX USB Adapter for dummies

Post by McKack »

Welcome to the straight-to-the-point tutorial on how to build the GIMX PC to PS3 USB adapter, solderless!
Everything you need to know to build and get started with the adapter is covered here if you read it carefully!
I suggest you read it through at least once, just to have a heads up on what you're going to do.

1. Get the required parts: Image

2. Download the required software, firmware and drivers for Windows: Image

Ubuntu files, only required if you're not using Windows: 3. Assemble the adapter
To begin with, I recommend you insulate the serial converter using the electrical tape if it's going to be in a tight enclosure, to avoid any shorts between it and the Teensy.

Now connect the cables as shown in the picture below.
(Notice how the Teensy is placed! Pins should point left with the USB connector pointing away from you.)

The next two steps are only required if you're putting the parts in a very tight enclosure and need the parts to take up as little space as possible.
(Click "show" on the spoiler below if you want to see the steps)
Spoiler: show
1. Bend the pins with the jumper cables attached to them inwards, slowly to prevent them from snapping, and tuck the cables between the pins on the opposite side.

2. To save some extra space, I usually wrap the cables around the Teensy.
There's no special way of doing this, so you just need to figure out what works best for your build.

Remember not to cover up the button on the Teensy as we need to press it later on.
(Also, this is where the rubber band will come in handy!)

If you want, you can also place the serial converter so that the pins and jumper cables go in between the rows of pins on the Teensy.
It's a very snug fit though so you should use some electrical tape to insulate the pins on the serial converter because they will touch the Teensy ones if you don't.

Cut some holes in your project box of choice to match the Mini USB plug on one side and regular USB plug on the other side.
Do some tests and make sure everything aligns up before securing everything in place. In the picture below I've bundled everything up using the rubber band and secured it to the box with some electrical tape (double sided tape or hot glue works wonders too if you have it)

Voilà! You're done building the adapter.

4. Load the firmware onto the adapter
Connect the adapter to your computer using the USB Mini-B cable and a LED on the Teensy should turn on or start blinking.

Now start up Teensy Loader (teensy.exe on your desktop) and follow these steps:
  1. Press the button on the Teensy and the LED should turn off.
  2. In Teensy Loader, open atmega32u4.hex from the firmwares folder on your desktop.
  3. Click the Program button and you should get the message "Download Complete"
  4. Now click the Reboot button and your GIMX USB adapter is ready for use!

NOTE! You can now unplug the USB Mini-B cable from your computer.
The USB Mini-B cable will only be connected to your computer when upgrading the firmware from now on.
When in use, the USB Mini-B cable is connected to your console.

5. Install the GIMX software
This step is pretty straight forward.
Simply run setup-0.30.exe from your desktop and follow the installation steps, preferably with the default installation location.

When the installation is done you should have three GIMX icons on your desktop.

Configuration basics
GIMX comes pre-loaded with a few configurations, but let's take a quick look on how you can make your own configurations using the GIMX FPS Config Tool (As you can tell by the name, this is mainly meant for setting up a basic FPS configuration.)

You can also check out the Configuration Requests and Index thread for other configurations available for download, or post requests that we or the community might be able to fulfill.

NOTE!
For Windows 32bit, downloaded configurations go in the C:\Program Files\GIMX\config folder.
For Windows 64bit, downloaded configurations go in the C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMX\config folder.

6. Good to go!
That's it. You're ready to start using the GIMX USB adapter!

1. Connect the regular USB side to your PC and install the serial converter drivers (CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7.exe on your desktop)
This is of course only required the very first time you use the adapter!

2. Connect the USB Mini-B side to your console, run gimx-serial and make sure the adapter is recognized on a COM port.
(If the Device box is blank, refer to the Support section and report the problem if a solution isn't found)

3. Select the config you made/downloaded from the drop down menu, click the Start button and a couple of windows should pop up to start capturing your mouse and keyboard input!

Now if you're in the menus of your console and press the WASD or arrow keys on your keyboard, you should be able to navigate through the menus, meaning you've succeeded! If not, or if something went wrong elsewhere, go back and make sure you followed every step to the letter and try again, then let us know if nothing you try works.

Enjoy!

NB! Xbox 360 support
Please note, as Xbox 360 support is in early experimental stages, this tutorial does not cover the usage of GIMX firmware version 0.30
The adapter in itself is however exactly the same, so if you would like to try out Xbox 360 support read this thread (currently only for Ubuntu)
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Indread

Re: GIMX USB Adapter for dummies

Post by Indread »

Holy, this is awesome, great tutorial McKack! It'll help a lot.
Indread

Post by Indread »

Is the extension cable mandatory, if I can reach the ps3 without it?

Also, is it possible to use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Ft232rl-Uart-Brea ... B005C7CUZE

I have heard the Ft232rl works, but this one's a female. Could a male-male extension cable make this work, in order to plug it in? Also, there's another problem of figuring out where to plug the jumper cables on this converter board, since it's different from the pictured one -- how am I to find out which pin to plug the jumper cables to?

What do you think about the Teensy ++ boards? They seem to have more memory and a better processor... wondering if this would reduce latency.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

@Indread

Please read the title: the goal of this tutorial is not to overwhelm people with details, like telling every piece of hardware that will work.

If you want details about compatible hardware: link.

A teensy 2.0 + cp2102 is the optimal setup for GIMX.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Indread wrote:Is the extension cable mandatory, if I can reach the ps3 without it?
Not needed in that case. I don't use one either since I have my main PC and laptop right next to the PS3.

And what Matlo said, this specific guide will focus on as few parts as possible. I'm still probably going to try and refine and strip it down even more when it's completely done because I've gotten a few messages from people that still think it looks complicated.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
HIGH5

Post by HIGH5 »

Great work McKack, kudos :)
McKack

Post by McKack »

Thank you. Going to fine tune and finish it this weekend.
SLOYAROLE™

Post by SLOYAROLE™ »

Oh man. This is sick. I'm all setup and going good with Linux, but now I can get my buddies setup with GIMx without the hassle of them installing Linux on their PC's and Laptops.

Nice work, McKack!
HIGH5

Post by HIGH5 »

Did some rewiring

bjaigorgor

Post by bjaigorgor »

what did you cover your serial convertor with? the tutorial used electric tape but yours didnt and it seems to have like a plastic covering