GIMX on Raspberry Pi

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
McD0n3ld

Re: GIMX on Raspberry Pi

Post by McD0n3ld »

Hi there,

I've installed GIMX on my Raspberry Pi. I want it to work in PS3 and XBOX360. It works fine with the correct configuration, but sometimes it hangs for a moment (like making work the mouse going one side to the other, and it stops twice and accelerates again). I heard somewhere that the comunity would try the possibility of running GIMX without graphic enviornment. I'm looking forward it because i think it will make it work faster.

Thanks,
McD0n3ld
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

Could you type "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" in a terminal, post the result on pastebin, and give the link?
McD0n3ld wrote:I heard somewhere that the community would try the possibility of running GIMX without graphic environment.
This will be in GIMX 1.0, but there is some remaining work.
GIMX creator
tps

Post by tps »

I'm using Raspbian with GIMX for PS3 and although it seems to work well considering feedback from the terminal, I have no reaction from PS3, like no command reaches the console.
The BT dongle led blinks all the time the emu is running and terminal feedback shows all events but the console doesn't react.
Any idea why this behavior?
Thanks for your feedback!
McD0n3ld

Post by McD0n3ld »

Matlo wrote:Hi,

Could you type "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" in a terminal, post the result on pastebin, and give the link?
That cmd only gave me this (what I guess it is not what are you looking for):

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
cat: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory
tps wrote:I'm using Raspbian with GIMX for PS3 and although it seems to work well considering feedback from the terminal, I have no reaction from PS3, like no command reaches the console.
I have to say I only tried using raspberry as a wired controller, so no bluetooth for me. And that we are also having some trouble with PS3 mode (sixaxis I guess). Surprisngly, looks like PS3 understands "standard" gamepad, so I'm playing PS3 with GIMX as a joystick, not sixaxis.

Edit: I also would know if there will be the need of spoofing with XBOX360 in GIMX 1.0

Thanks, and sorry for my English,
McD0n3ld
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

tps wrote: The BT dongle led blinks all the time the emu is running and terminal feedback shows all events but the console doesn't react.
Does it work with a standard PC running Ubuntu?
McD0n3ld wrote: That cmd only gave me this (what I guess it is not what are you looking for):
What I wanted to know is the USB tree, i.e. what devices are connected on which ports, and if you are using hubs.
McD0n3ld wrote: Edit: I also would know if there will be the need of spoofing with XBOX360 in GIMX 1.0
Yes, the spoofing is mandatory because of the security chip.
GIMX creator
tps

Post by tps »

Salut Matlo,
The same dongle works with an Ubuntu.
I have however changed the polling for the mouse by modifying the value at runtime to '2' in /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll and it seems to work now.
The trick with /etc/modules doesn't work since Raspbian kernel has usbhid built-in.

I now seem to have an issue when needing to 'turn'/change direction in COD, not sure how to tweak it. When I move the mouse left/right it barely turns in the game. It seems I need to spend some more time with the fps config tool.

Keep up the good work!
Cordialement
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

tps wrote:I have however changed the polling for the mouse by modifying the value at runtime to '2' in /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll and it seems to work now.
Alternatively you can add usbhid.mousepoll=X to the kernel command line.
GIMX creator
tps

Post by tps »

Salut Matlo,
Thanks for the tip with the kernel command line!

I'm still focused on using gimx with BT and on raspberry pi there's the issue with the power drain on the USB port. I'm using cascaded powered USB hubs to get the set-up running.
All is good for starting the play on PS3 but after a couple minutes it no longer works: the view starts rotating slowly to the right/left and no commands are received.
The gimx UI seems fine but dmesg shows some kind of ACL error to/from dongle.
Exact error is:
[ 1032.632610] Bluetooth: hci0 ACL packet for unknown connection handle 11
[ 1032.809612] Bluetooth: hci0 ACL packet for unknown connection handle 11
This looks like a kernel issue and I guess that's the reason you didn't recommend a newer version of Ubuntu. It seems I need a kernel update on Raspbian.
Last edited by tps on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
tps

Post by tps »

McD0n3ld wrote: I have to say I only tried using raspberry as a wired controller, so no bluetooth for me. And that we are also having some trouble with PS3 mode (sixaxis I guess). Surprisngly, looks like PS3 understands "standard" gamepad, so I'm playing PS3 with GIMX as a joystick, not sixaxis.
You mean that using gimx-serial and with that set-up the PS3 doesn't behave as having a sixaxis? Does it happen the same on a PC?
I'm willing to try the USB2Serial set-up with the PI but if that's the case then it may not make sense.

Thanks!
tps

Post by tps »

tps wrote: [ 1032.632610] Bluetooth: hci0 ACL packet for unknown connection handle 11
[ 1032.809612] Bluetooth: hci0 ACL packet for unknown connection handle 11
This looks like a kernel issue and I guess that's the reason you didn't recommend a newer version of Ubuntu. It seems I need a kernel update on Raspbian.
Same behavior with the latest Raspbian version from a couple days ago.