[Slightly OOT] DS4 spoofing

Talk about anything concerning the source code.
fraca7

[Slightly OOT] DS4 spoofing

Post by fraca7 »

Hello. I'm currently stuck on a little project of mine, as I said in my introduction. Basically I want to use an Arduino Leonardo with a USB host shield as a passthrough between the PS4 and the Dualshock, in order to alter the input reports. The final goal is to hack up gyro aiming to play Horizon: Zero Dawn without sucking with the bow :)

I took a look at the boards and found two topics of interest already:

https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=893
https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3036

This second one makes me optimistic since it seemed to work, but the code was never published it seems. So a little more details:

Hardware: Leonardo, USB shield. PS4 Pro and the DS that came with it (product 0x09cc).
Software: USB host shield library to communicate with the DS4, LUFA for Arduino to communicate with the PS4.

I'm currently spoofing the USB descriptors (with a single HID interface, I skipped the sound ones), and then handling the HID class methods and forwarding them to the DS. This seems to *almost* work; when I plug the controller, I get the regular control flow:

GET_REPORT 0x02
GET_REPORT 0xa3
GET_REPORT 0x12

Then if I press PS

SET_REPORT 0x14 01 00...

And periodic 32-bytes packets on the interrupt OUT endpoint, to change the LED colors I guess (though the packets are identical). After some time the authentication challenge starts, the challenge response is ready, etc. This seems to show that the PS4 actually aknowledged the Leonardo, but the UI itself does not behave as if a controller was plugged.

So, does anyone have a hint about this ? I'd like to setup a Github repo for the code, but since it doesn't actually work right now... Ultimately this may be used to implement macros/remappings in a narrower sense than GIMX is already doing, but with much less setup involved. After I finish Horizon: Zero Dawn of course :)
fraca7

Re: [Slightly OOT] DS4 spoofing

Post by fraca7 »

Turns out, this happens because I was not spoofing the audio class interfaces (or maybe because since I wasn't, the HID interface number was 0 instead of 3, or something else related to the interface/endpoint numbers). Now on to the meat of the problem :)
fraca7

Post by fraca7 »

I meant "1 instead of 3", not 0 obviously.
fraca7

Post by fraca7 »

For the record:

https://github.com/fraca7/dsremap

Finished Zero Dawn + DLC with it :)
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Nice achievement, congrats and thanks for sharing!
GIMX creator
Cybereu

Post by Cybereu »

Awesome project !
Post a video someday
fraca7

Post by fraca7 »

Thanks! Now I'm going for Bluetooth support, using a Pi Zero W instead of a microcontroller. Almost as entertaining as actually playing games :)
gbafamily

Post by gbafamily »

Brilliant! I tried something similar for but XBox One on a Teensy 3.6 but have not gotten very far. The Teensy 3.6 has 1 USB device port and 1 USB host port so it is very compact hardware for USB pass through.
fraca7

Post by fraca7 »

gbafamily wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:03 am Brilliant! I tried something similar for but XBox One on a Teensy 3.6 but have not gotten very far. The Teensy 3.6 has 1 USB device port and 1 USB host port so it is very compact hardware for USB pass through.
Yes, I thought of using a Teensy (more power, more memory, more everything) but in the end I wanted something simple to setup and nothing beats slapping a USB host shield on a Leonardo. Last time I checked you'd have to solder stuff on a Teensy board for this kind of things ? At least the USB type A connector, no ?
gbafamily

Post by gbafamily »

True, soldering is required for the T36. But only 5 pins for the USB host connector.