Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with USB

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
user888

Re: Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with

Post by user888 »

Thanks a lot for this image. I had a problem running out of diskspace when doing an apt-get upgrade. So I suspect it's 4GB and hasn't been 'grown' yet using raspi-config
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

I still don't have a Pi but I’ve just downloaded the image and I’m going to buy one right now because I’ve played for a while with the DIY using a PC with Windows 7 and it was unbelievable to play PCars with my G27 wheel.

Thank you very much for the ISO, because I don’t have any idea about Pi and this would be useful.

Regards
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

Waveform wrote: ...
Thanks cortega, the disconnects are happening with Project Cars on my PS4, I haven't tried it in other games, but could try with Project Cars.
I just ran my setup for 45+ minutes with no issues. In Project Cars I did a couple runs on Azura, and a run of the California highway for about 35 minutes, and then I played DriveClub for another 10 minutes with no issues. Its actually still connected and running. I just stepped away to post this.

My setup was with the original image you posted (I haven't downloaded the new one you posted yet). I also did do a startup with just the Wheel through GIMX. I have an old usb 1.0 hub connected to one of the USB ports on the PS4 that was hooked up to the GIMX diy adapter as well as the cable that supplied power to the RPi. The rest of the connections are standard. I basically just hit the power button on the PS4 and wait the 20 seconds it takes for the PS4 to startup. At about the 10 second mark from pressing the power button the RPi boots starts to boot and after about 45 seconds total the Wheel has done its two calibrations and GIMX is up and running. I was then able to hit the left most red button on the shifter (PS4 equivalent) and use the wheel to navigate to the games and play.

Like I said, I was able to have everything connected the other day for 8+ minutes and it worked fine, but today's run was on the new PS4 update that I was forced to do last night, so I'm not sure if that affected things or not. Also, I am using a CUH-1200 PS4, if htat makes a difference.
Waveform wrote: ...
Congratulations on your purchase! I too got my G29 on sale, I got the wheel and Manual Shifter both for £135 from a UK Store called Currys.
The price for the wheel on its own here in Ireland is currently €430 from the same store! :o
I too lost respect for Logitech in the way they handled the whole thing, that bullshit they came out with about the "security chip" was a dick move.
I couldn't resist that bargain sale price though! :lol:
For ~$200 US, I would have been right there with you with a G29 and a smile. I looked at the TH8a shifter and somehow everyone who sells it in the US decided that $150 US isn't enough for it, and that it needs to be $10+ US more now (sometimes + a lot more). I've been contemplating returning it and paying the extra $50 US for a G29 which is also on sale this week. I can't really use the H-gate with DriveClub, but I can't imagine Project Cars without it, it's 85% of the fun. $360 US ($300 if I hang onto the G27 and use its shifter) and giving in to logitech sounds a little better then the $400+ us I'll end up spending on a Thrustmaster setup. The only thing that may keep me going that route is that I really want to play the Crew with a wheel and right now that's not going to happen with any logitech setup that acts like an actual wheel. Thought about a brook adapter with the latest firmware, but then my G27 would be just a wheel shaped controller. Maybe some of the developers of the Crew had G27's and felt the same way we did :lol: .
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

Woohoo! I managed to fix the disconnecting issue thanks to your post cortega1!
I am using the Raspberry Pi 1 Model B by the way.

This time I had the Raspberry Pi power cable directly plugged into one of the ports on the PS4, and the Atmega micro controller plugged into the other PS4 port.
The g27 is plugged directly into one of the Pi's usb ports and the USB hub plugged into the other Pi port.
The USB Serial converter and Dualshock 4 are connect to the USB hub.
The USB hub was unpowered

Previous to that I had the G27 connected to the hub along with the DS4 and usb serial converter.
I also had the hub powered by a 1A port from an Anker USB Battery with the PI powered from the batteries 2A port. I also tried powering the PI from a 2A iPad charger instead of the battery and had the same issue.

Maybe having the G27 directly connected to the PI's USB port instead of the hub solved the problem?

I will do so some more testing tomorrow and then finish up with GIMX and sell the g27.
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

Waveform, I am glad to hear that you figured everything out and that your disconnection issues have come to an end.

I love using an earlier RPi model since it uses less power. Thanks to Matlo's GIMX software that takes almost no computing power to run, and the image that you (Waveform) provided, I can literally use 1 USB port on my PS4 to power the RPi and run the wheel. As I mentioned earlier I can even just use the wheel to control everything. I have two controllers so it doesn't really matter, but if I someone only has one controller, they can use the PS4 to power their RPi, just leave their controller hooked up to their GIMX setup, and use the wheel to log in and navigate around the PS4.
user888

Post by user888 »

I do not use your image but have configured GIMX myself and a Raspi 2 and I do experience disconnects after 5, maybe 10 minutes when using it on a PS4.

Wheel connected directly to Raspi 2
DS4 connected directly to Raspi 2
Raspi 2 powered by 10W Apple charger
PS4 connected via DIY adapter to Raspi 2

The strange thing is, I experienced these problems first with my Driving Force GT wheel, but my Red Momo Force (I love that wheel, bought it in 2002 (!)) seemed to work fine. A few days I could play Project Cars on the PS4 without any problem. Even sessions longer than an hour. Until 2 days ago. Now the same problem: it seems to disconnect. Cannot access the Raspberry until I unplug the DIY adapter. Logging is full of LIBUSB_TRANSFER_TIMED_OUT entries.

TIP for when you are making a new image: just add other wheels to the same config file. I have created a configuration file (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ghb8vzl3azg1 ... 9.xml?dl=0) to support both my Red Momo Force and Driving Force GT, so I can use the Raspberry for either of them (not simultaneously)
Dasato

Post by Dasato »

In order with the experience of Waveform, I think it could be a problem with the power supply. Have you changed the apple charger by another one just for try? It seems like there is not enough power for all devices.

Regards
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

Yes that is worth a shot!
User888 Try powering the PI from the PS4's USB port instead and see if the issue goes away.

Thanks for the tip about multiple wheel configurations, I might update the Image with them.
superbalza

Post by superbalza »

I'm downloading the new image, and tomorrow I will try it!

I'm thinking about an improvement: it's easy to power up everything, just by plugging in the wheel power supply and the rpi power supply (or using one ps4 usb ports).

BUT

when I want to stop playing, is not a good idea to turn off the rpi by cutting the power supply (turning off the ps4 if you use a usb supply)... the sd card data can be corrupted!

SO

I read about a simple script that waits for a keyboard button combination and execute a command, like:
http://cagewebdev.com/index.php/raspber ... o-hotkeys/
and the command maybe could be a like: "sudo shutdown -r now"

BUT

if you use the rpi headless, you don't have a keyboard hooked on it!

BUT (i promise is the last one :lol: )

maybe you can use a wheel button combination instead a keyboard button combination... am I wrong?

Sorry for my english, and for my linuxish :lol:

UPDATE:

I made some test (in office, no wheel), and I found that you can use the command:

sudo nano ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml

to edit the "interface" config file (if I understood correctly), and add a line like:

<keybind key="C-F7">
<action name="Execute">
<command>sudo shutdown -h now</command>
</action>
</keybind>

to bind for example, the Control + F7 key to shutdown the Rpi... and it works!

I discovered (for me everything in linux is a brand new discover), that with the command "xev" you can catch keypresses! The only thing remaining is to get home, hook the wheel, catch the button presses, create a button combination for shutdown, and voilà!
And you can use also button chains! Like you first press L1+R1, release, and then L2+R2, and it execute something!

Sono un fottuto genio :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

Okay so I powered the PI from my IPad Air charger today and it still worked after 8 minutes, so maybe it was the fact I had the everything plugged into the USB hub connected to the PI that caused the issue?
My advice would be to only have the G27, DS4 and USB Serial Converter connected to the PI and nothing else.

No keyboard, no mouse, no Ethernet, that might interfere with it.